Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Central Midwest Gardening: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already, 2 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: July 2012-Plants shriveling up already

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of July 2012-Plants shriveling up already
shortleaf wrote:
Welcome back, happ! You were starting to worry us you were gone so long! Everybody needs a break. I remember how it is to have a full-time job, one really relishes their spare time, and vacations from work, they were the best! I hope to join the workforce again after this training starting Monday is over. Your DH and you have been busy I see! Boy, it would be nice to be a chicken at your house! Hehe! Solar lights in the pergola in an old chandelier! That's a good idea. Now, I want to do it when I find an old chandelier! Taj MaCoop! That's funny! I always get challenged in Scrabble when I use the word taj! I think you live in an area near St. Joseph, happ, Platte City they said is bumming pretty good with drought conditions, I bet you know. That root-sprout start of a Blackberry Bush is still green. Maybe it's generating roots and such but it's hanging in there for you. Here is a photo of it tonite. It's the fourth and fifth photos in the lineup. - At any rate, it is still green after 5 weeks, I think that is a good sign! Here it is on June 25th - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9180938&e... If it were going to die, I'd think it woulda turned brown by now.

I painted the foundation on the East side of the house today, it needed it bad and I put it off long enuff. I have a few photos of the job if anyone wants to have a look. - It was a gallon of Drylok paint that I used. It worked out just right down to the last drop in the can, it was just enuff to paint it on liberally. Man, that stuff goes on good! It doesn't smell very good, but that don't last long, it dries fast! I figure any paint that smells like urine has to be good! I encountered wasps again a few times but never got stung. They came at me hard, but I was fast! I saw this one coming so I went into this violent shaking for a second or two and I think that threw it off! It flew around me for a minute then went back to it's nest to do whatever they do. That one actually tried to sting me, it ran into the hand that was up there but it didn't hit me good enuff. I was trying to knock down this spiderweb right by their nest, that's when I found out where it was. I think, "how did I not get stung?". You know, I think maybe it's because I am a fairly hairy sort. I think they might've been unable to reach my skin because the hair on my hands and arms maybe kept them from stinging my skin! I don't know, but I've been lucky, maybe it's just being grown up now. Maybe I anticipate them now and I try harder to avoid them. I remember when I was a kid I got stung regularly, knocking down their nests probably didn't help any! Anyway, I'm done now with that side, in the photos I wasn't done all the way. That photo closeup I was just trying to show you the wasp's nest, but the pic here might not be big enuff, it's pretty hard to see even full-size offline.

It musta rained a little early this morning. When I got up, the pavement and street had that rained on look, but I kinda doubt that it was enuff to really help.
Will

This message was edited Aug 2, 2012 7:30 PM

This message was edited Aug 3, 2012 11:18 AM