Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Gitagal

In reply to: Summer flowers

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

Back to post
Photo of Summer flowers
Gitagal wrote:
Happy---

I do not think so--they do not look exactly alike either...

The Red DL I have used to be in my next-door neighbor's (Betsy's) yard.
She had beautiful Iris and also DL.
6 years ago, she went to an extended care kind of a place. The house was unoccupied for 2 years.
Her daughter spent all kinds of time throwing everything away, as she was in charge of
readying the house to be sold. You better believe I went through every trash bag! Horrors!

She even rented a dumpster and was throwing all kinds of good things in it.
I think that got raided by everyone in this neighborhood that dared do such a thing.

Then the salvation Army truck came to get all the rest.
She let me go look, and I ended up taking a beautiful, hand-crocheted Full throw. Also some other stuff.
The husbands sister always crocheted things.

OK! Getting side tracked here...
Betsy's father was from Holland and he owned a Bulb farm somewhere in S. MD.
Many of the bulbs that she grew were given to her by her dad. Including these red DL's.

I just think they are an old, old variety as I have seen them in many places. Even when I was in Latvia.

SO--as no one was looking I was digging up what I could from her yard.
She had oodles of naked ladies, but I did not have room for too many things.

The Iris I showed you all before--the "Snow on a Mountain" was also something I took from her yard.
Just as well--when the Pakistani family moved in, they cut everything down, dug everything up and got rid of ti.
Now the Old lady is cultivating quite a nice garden--but most of it in pots. She has a pot-garden.
Now that it is behind a 6" wall, I never see her any more. Nor my little buddy--Hamsah.

Sorry to be so long-winded....I always have to explain "why" and "how".....Gita

The Iris "Snow cap"...and my little buddy--Hamsah--2 years old. They say they built the fence to keep him safe
and to keep him from roaming all over with Granny chasing after him all day.
Now he will grow up in fenced-in cage--not exposed to any other people or kids. Sad!

edited to say--now Hamsah peeks through the cracks in the fence and keeps saying--"Hi!! Miss Gee..."

This message was edited Jul 10, 2012 1:30 PM