Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Aussie Broms in 2016, 2 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Aussie Broms in 2016

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Aussie Broms in 2016
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone - It seems like we\'re again back to the usual tiny group except Brian who\'s still M.I.A.

Trish - Glad to hear you\'re getting back into the normal \"swing of things\" again after all the dramas. What do the girls think of your early morning potting excursions?

Regarding the size of Purple Cockatoo, I found that when I was looking after the Vrieseas better and fertilising as they required (they do like more than the Neo\'s), the length of the “paddle” on Purple Cockatoo was 1/3 longer than Pink Cockatoo, so maybe a bit more TLC from me is required to get the Vrieseas back into condition as I’ve been slack and dropped off the fertilising considerably.

As for comparing your plant of Blood Plum with that of Gunpowder, let me say that I have both plants but I’d have to have a look and take pic’s to post as I can only remember Gunpowder and my plant looks similar to your plant if didn’t have those dark markings on the leaves. Anyhow I’ll take some pic’s today and post them tomorrow. I can’t seem to access the BCR this morning so I can’t even look at that for a comparison either.

I also have a “Heart Music” x concentrica but it doesn’t have that heavy blotching like yours, just the fine lineation and some concentric type markings. I like your plant and find it very different and attractive.

To finish today, I’ll post a few more pictures of Nidulariums and Pic.1 is Nid. Fulgens, Pic.2 is one I bought as Nid. ‘Ruby Ryde’, but it now turns out that it’s a bi-generic called xNiduregelia ‘Ruby Ryde’ however no parentage is recorded. Pic.3 is Nid ‘Madonna’, a beautiful Nidularium which would have looked better if the photographer had cleaned the plant before taking the picture. Pic.4 is Nid. ‘Orange Bract’ (formally Nid fulgens orange) and Pic.5 is Nid Ruby Lee (one of my favourites).

All the best, Nev.