Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: More Cottage Garden Flowers, 0 by evelyn_inthegarden

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright evelyn_inthegarden

In reply to: More Cottage Garden Flowers

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of More Cottage Garden Flowers
evelyn_inthegarden wrote:
pennefeather ~ If you really need a place to send your surpluses...

Indygardengal ~ Yes, we are in the Sierra foothills west of Lake Tahoe, and southeast of Placerville, which is 20 "mountain miles" away...the nearest town, or city, actually. It has grown a lot since I have moved here. We are at 3500' in elevation and it does snow every year, but it has never snowed in April, since I have lived here, and it is hot all summer with scant rainfall, if at all.

This year, for the first time, I have begun to start many things from seed. A lot of things that have tiny, tiny seeds, like lobelia and petunia...

Mainly, in the past I have direct sown seeds like poppies and also larger ones like marigold, calendula and four o'clock. Now in addition to the ones that I will direct sow are cosmos, both direct and started in seed beds then transferred to cell packs, alyssum, lupine, impatiens, snapdragons, basil, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, parsley, lettuce, broccoli, helichrysum, ageratum, heliotrope, phlox, verbena, and others that I have not yet started, such as zinnias and marigolds, though it is time that I started them....So, I suppose will be the question will be, when will I finish the weeding, and also planting out the orders that have already been placed? I already received one fairly small order from Bluestone Perennials and I just potted them all up and put them in the nursery area, since it was to snow the next day. All of this late snow has interrupted my plans, and I am afraid that it may turn hot before I get all of them in the ground, or potted up, if that is what they will need. I have a prepared bed waiting for new things, but that will also need another weeding. The compost pile is soggy to say the least. I suppose I will have to purchase some of that as well, since I will not have enough to go around this year. Well, every gardener has their challenges...don't we...??