Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Central Midwest Gardening: Fall RU 09-Plant swap, 0 by AuntB

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AuntB

In reply to: Fall RU 09-Plant swap

Forum: Central Midwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Fall RU 09-Plant swap
AuntB wrote:
Joyce, that sounds like a lot of coordinating.. THX! Will, that is it, night blooming cerus.. a succulent maybe, more than a prickly cactus?? I will pass on yours, as I picked one up with that name at the RU last fall... Joyce? I think Louise gave you one, too... any blooms? Me neither. Will, I would give it another year or so... once you see the bloom, you will want to keep it.. they do start from a "leaf" cutting.. I've had one from my aunt for about 10 years.. it's my bloomer.. they do come in all colors and they can get large and gangly, but then there's plenty to share.
My mom says to leave them outside in the fall as long as possible, so it feels the cool/cold air, it will take temps into the 30's just so it doesn't get frozen...I'll be moving them to my covered front porch, keeps frost off in case I miss a frost warning.... (she thinks it helps them have blooms the following year-subjecting them to cold temps)... then store over winter where it is cooler/darker (I keep them in the garage part of the basement) water sparingly, 2 or 3 times over winter.
Joyce, I got a shell ginger (variegated leaves), I'll look for a start on that one for you.. looks lovely, even still in it's nursery pot! I'm going to rig up a soda bottle rooter for the snow queen hibs, 3-liter mini terrarium-like.. I'm trying them with orchid moss soaked in recipe (like we do brugs) hope to get some roots that way.. I'll make one up for you, too AND take some fresh cuttings the night before the RU... it only takes one to make an eventually BIG plant...
Leaflady, I'll bring a few snips off the hot pink secreatia, it will fit into your mixed basket.. this is a pic of Dutchman's Pipe or Fisherman's Pipe vine bloom.. purty, huh? teehee