Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Irises: Designing with Irises?, 0 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

In reply to: Designing with Irises?

Forum: Irises

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Designing with Irises?
tabasco wrote:

Well, I wonder where all the iris fanciers are who have great gardens and good answers to your question?!!

IMHO if you want a great iris show like the one pictured, then you plant the ones you love and just let it bloom out until finished, clean it up for the summer, and focus attention for the next bloom period over to your daylily bed or mixed border on the other side of the yard.

Having said that, I do mix bearded iris in with my mixed border for mid may bloom in the space with my white allium and eremurus. When those three are finished blooming the summer perennials start. The problem with this plan is that the bearded iris (and allium) get crowded and get too much water from the extra watering of the perennials and become susceptable to disease and poor bloom performance. The Siberian Iris, which is getting more popular every season, is probably a better choice for the perennial border because it can take more water.

Here's a pic of giant allium with yellow iris. I can't find a long shot of the border, but you get the idea.