Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Specialty Gardening: Am i making a big mistake growing english ivy up my fence?, 0 by sticks_n_stones

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright sticks_n_stones

Subject: Am i making a big mistake growing english ivy up my fence?

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Am i making a big mistake growing english ivy up my fence?
sticks_n_stones wrote:
hi all, i need your opinions. ....i have this big ole white fence. in planing for the fence, i failed to put any space in front of the fence so that i could grow things in front of the fence. thus i have this stark white fence. i really want to soften the look. i feel as tho something growing on the fence will help. in the mean time i have things planted behind the fence that will sort of grow thru the fence but it will take a couple of years to get the effect i want.

in researching vines, the only permanent vines that will work with my yard are english ivy. hubby has boycotted trumphet vine; he has also boycotted any flowers in the bed b4 the fence;there are several annual vines that i am growing to put on the fence, but during the winter the fence is way to 'plastic' looking

so, that being said, am i nuts training english ivy to go up the fence? i am striving for the english cottage look so what vine would be better than english ivy? my main concern is that english ivy can be so invasive; i don't want it taking over....i have climbing roses that are planted to grow up on the fence but it will take a couple of years.....i have hyacynth bean vine in the works to grow up the fence during the summers.....

ok, i have all the disclaimers than i can think of .....just wanna hear what you think:)

i have also posted this in vines and climbers maybe those folks can help me with regards to vines

This message was edited Apr 16, 2007 4:16 PM