Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Clematis for Shrubs, 0 by david5311

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright david5311

In reply to: Clematis for Shrubs

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Clematis for Shrubs
david5311 wrote:
I have been lucky enough at both my new and old places to have a cold greenhouse or sunporch on which I kept some potted plants, the euphorbias being among them. I really like those plants for their foliage and bloom, but unfortunately they do not tolerate snow load or cold (about z7 hardy I think).

I can't recall exactly where I got Mrs. Robt Brydon originally, but I think it was from a local grower who each year offered some unusual plants including some more unusual small flowered clems. It is actually quite hard to find even from the standard bear clematis nurseries that carry almost everything else under the sun. I would try all of the above -- Chalk Hill, Joy Creek, and Brushwood, and also look as well under the name C. x jouiana praecox, which is either the same or a very similar plant.

Maybe one last picture of two winners, both of which could be grown just fine in small to medium shrubs, Ville De Lyon (cerise pink-red) and Arabella (blue lavendar below), both of which are very long bloomers and vigorous plants

(....just like Kevin said, "bait him, get him started and make sure it's winter so there's nothing else to do, and there's no stopping him...." ;o))