Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Propagation: Okay, I want to WS next January..., 0 by tabasco

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright tabasco

In reply to: Okay, I want to WS next January...

Forum: Propagation

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Okay, I want to WS next January...
tabasco wrote:

I think the cover is to maintain a certain amount of moisture and humidity in the planter, it keeps the birds and squirrels from feasting on your seeds, and it keeps too much hard rain and ice from damaging your seedlings and seed bed. It's important to make air/moisture ventilation slits in the plastic.

Maybe in Georgia you don't have the severe weather swings we have in the spring--the covers help to mitigate those.

I used semi-opaque large garbage bags (cut open)--covered the boxes over with the plastic and set the edges of the boxes on the plastic to hold it down. Worked OK. I wish I had propped up the plastic better so that the rain would have drained off and the seedlings would have some air space.

The plants in the plastic planters did fine. I need to work on my labeling, though. The indelible marker I used was not indelible.

I will definitely winter sow again. It's fun (and sometimes a bit of a challenge) and you can grow so many things that are not readily available in the garden centers (and save loads of $$, too!)

I suggest looking at Wintersown.org for ideas, too. Lots of information there.