Wild Passion Flower

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Could someone please identify my Passion Flower? It grows wild here in Tennessee, but I like it so much I grow it on a trellis over my butterfly weeds. I like the way they look together!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Beautiful! And I think that is Maypop!

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Linda - That's what my parents call it too. Ha! I'm looking for the fancy name for it.

I think it's Passiflora incarnata. I hope that's correct. I want to be able to use the fancy name around my mom and dad! LOL.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 2:52 PM

Beatrice, NE(Zone 5b)

You are right, Passiflora incarnata.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I agree as well that it's P. incarnata becasue of the combination of the large leaves and the bloom type.

Here's the DG link for it: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1189/

Nashville, TN

It's also known as wild apricot and is the state wildflower of Tennessee. The fruit is edible.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have the may pop every where, but where I would like it. I have yet to be sucessful at growing from seed. Anyone know how? Mike

North, TX

Now I know where to plant my Butterfly weeds ~ with the Passiflora incarnata; they look really pretty together! And the butterflies love the passiflora also. Last year there were caterpillars all over the leaves muching away. Not sure what kind.

The deer usually brouse the fruits but this last year I think our dogs kept them away & we were able to sample quite a few. When the fruit is ripe, it is very sweet and flavorful. Would like to find a good recipe for jelly or something.

I've never tried growing from seed but they are easily propagated by cuttings.

Thumbnail by Allwild
NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Allwild, those are Gulf Fritillary caterpillars! They are fairly common in Texas. I have two caterpillars I brought in out of the cold the other day. Unlike my own P. incarnata, the P. caerulea, which is related to P. incarnata, still has green foliage, so they use it later in the season. A pair of the butterflies making babies:

Thumbnail by LindaTX8
North, TX

What a great shot, LindaTX. I sure did see lots of the Gulf Fritillary butterflies this past summer and fall, and others.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

in Texas, around the nw side of Houston? I stick the whole pod in a hole in the ground and walk away, at the edge of shade but in the sun. Just try stopping those from growing, thin later

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Maypops are now beginning to "pop" off the ground here. I'll need to try to pair them up with some of the A. curassavica. They do pair up nicely.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Are you referring to cross polination? Sorry I don't understand, but want to move some of my common ones, and put them where they will work out. Mike

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Mike, sorry I didn't answer your question-- because I have had no experience with sowing Maypop's seeds. With the abundant strayed seedlings, or runners. If I were you; I'f transplant those where you wanted them to grow? I've good success with transplanting maypops. Now is the time to do so.
Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.