Coneflower Field

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm adding to this coneflower bed every year until it becomes as close to a field of coneflowers as possible! I've got a long way to go, but I'm getting there. I had a setback when I tried the Big Sky Series Echinaceas. They were horrible and I lost a year or two because of them. I keep my new cultivars away from this bed now.

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Boston, MA

Very pretty, what is the double pink one and the yellow one in the lower left corner of the picture? Did you have disease wipe out some of your older cones from newly introduced ones?

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

The double pink one is "Razzmatazz." I've had them for 4 years. They are a definite winner in my book.

The yellow one is a Rudbeckia called "Irish Eyes." It keeps re-seeding itself all over the place.

I did have some problems with sick coneflowers when I tried the Big Sky Series. They just seemed to cause chaos in my Echinaceas. I can't explain it. Since I got rid of them, everything looks back to normal this year.

Mechanicsville, MD

I think you are well on your way to your field of echinaceas!!!!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice. Very nice. The Rudbeckia "Prairie Sun" also caught my eye. I tried growing them from seed over the winter but not having much luck. They're all melting/looking sad in this intense Florida June sun.
Jon

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

Here is my field..used to be all color's..Over the years the yellow's have won out.. I still love it.

larkie

Thumbnail by Larkie
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow. Nice. Maybe the wind will blow some of those seeds my way!! I wouldn't mind at all.
Jon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.