Neem isn't working on some bugs - what else can I use?

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a tiny beetle which I think is a Colorado Striped Beetle.
It leaves little black dots (chew marks?) on the tender tops of foliage.
Amazingly it seems to love herbs and aromatic plants.
I've sprayed with Neem and even direct contact doesn't seem to kill them.
What safe product is more effective than Neem?
Thanks for any help.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Have you tried garlic pepper tea or powdered DE? You can make garlic compost tea by peeling 2 whole pods of garlic and placing in a food processor or blender. Then take 3 or 4 of the hottest peppers you can find (jalapeno or habanero are great) and add to the mix. Blend until it's liquified. Strain the mixture into a gallon container and add water til the container is full. Spray on affected plants to deter biters. A caution, be sure to ventilate your gallon container as it will expand and begin leaking. It will also reek, so you will want to store it outside.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Don't give up on the neem. There is little or no knockdown associated with its use. Neem's value lies in the fact that it is an anti-feedant, an oviposition deterrent (anti-egg laying), a growth inhibitor, a mating disrupter, and a chemosterilizer. Azadirachtin, a tetranortriterpenoid compound, closely mimics the hormone ecdysone, which is necessary for reproduction in insects. When present, it takes the place of the real hormone and thus disrupts not only the feeding process, but the metamorphic transition as well, disrupting molting. It interferes with the formation of chitin (insect "skin") and stops pupation in larvae, thus short-circuiting the insect life cycle. It also inhibits flight ability, helping stop insect spread geographically

Tests have shown that azadirachtin, the insecticidal fraction of the extract is effective at preventing future generations in some cases at concentrations as low as 1 ppm. Because certain extraction methods destroy some beneficial components of the oil, products other than cold-pressed/raw/virgin neem oil often lack sufficient azadirachtin to offer the benefits of its effects and rely on other insecticides like pyrethrin for their insecticidal properties, so not all products that claim to contain 'neem' are created equal.

https://www.bustan.ca/images/dynagro_neem.jpg

Al

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for all that info Al.
In the mean time those dastardly little beetles seem to still be active and doing their thing but maybe I'm being impatient.
How often should I re-spray?
I just checked...the product I use is Bonide Neem.
25% Neem, 75% Inert but I think I used something last
year that was straight Neem (is it thick??) and didn't seem
to make any diff then either as I recall.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I use the Dyna-Gro product I linked to above. It's 100% cold-pressed neem & is very thick at room temperature. None of the azadirachtin is destroyed in the extraction of the oil. It's all I use as a fixative, & I also use it prophylactically in the fall before I bring my tropical bonsai and houseplants in. Spray every 2 weeks if you have a problem. Combining it with rubbing alcohol will improve its immediate knockdown significantly.

In a 1 qt spritz bottle, add 1 tsp of cold-pressed neem oil to a pint of hot water with a few drops of Murphy's Oil soap in it. Shake well & add a pint of (70%) rubbing alcohol. You end up with a 50/50 water/alcohol mix with a little neem and natural soap in it. Shake frequently as you spritz. Make sure you cover the underside of leaves & hit leaf axils, too.

Al

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.