My first garden tour ...

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

On Wednesday I hosted my first garden tour with a visit from an Ottawa garden club. I was really quite nervous in the morning ... OMG, they came by coach bus... there were 40 of them ... they were from an upper class area of Ottawa! Yikes. But it couldn't have gone any better, really. The weather even cooperated.

Thought I'd post a few pics.

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Originally, the bus was to park at the gravel pit just past our place, but once the bus driver saw our driveway, apparently he just uttered something in French and backed
that puppy up like it was a tinker toy. I have a new respect for bus drivers. :-)

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

It was a fun answering all their questions, and they had many.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A shady corner.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

What a nice group. Even though it was a garden club group, there was quite a range of questions; from "what's your favourite hosta supplier?" to "so that's a hosta, right?"

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Part of the rock garden.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

The most asked about plants were Brunnera 'Jack Frost', japanese primrose, and Hosta 'Liberty'. You can see 'Liberty' in the background.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Closer pic of Hosta 'Liberty' and companions.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

They are congregating down by the fairy's garden.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Here's the fairy's garden.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

A bit of early June colour.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

My fave shady corner, by the gate.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

It looks as if this lady is checking out my unfinished walkway, lol. Actually, DH and I worked on it that very morning hauling and spreading stone dust, trying to finish it.

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

I used to have a pebble mosaic in the circle centre that I was never quite happy with but didn't know what to replace it with, until one day I happened to capture a fairy ....

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

This garden was newly planted last fall. It's mainly hostas and shade plants as it faces east. The bed in front of the shed gets more sun and is mostly daylilies and peonies.

It was a good day and overall it was a very gratifying experience.

Thumbnail by sanannie
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Sandy,

Which garden group came to see your garden? I didn't see anyone I knew in the pics, but ...
It looks great. I think I should come and see it while it's still in garden tour prime condition except that your garden always looks garden tour ready. Did they also tour the gardens by the museum? LOL at "so that's a hosta, right?"

Anyway - are you going to be in Ottawa this week? If not, I'll try to find a time slot to bring your plants and pick up mine. If you are, I might defer to next week to make a trek out to your place.

Ann

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Hi Ann,

It was the Rockcliffe Garden Club(!). The Museum was a rest stop before they descended on the Castlegarth Restaurant for lunch (I don't know how they managed 40 people at once in that little place!) and then it was on to Whitehouse in Almonte.

I have to get to Ottawa within the next two weeks but haven't decided when as yet. If next week suits you, that'll be fine - except for Friday.

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ooh - Rockliffe. Posh! They probably mostly have gardeners!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

..... now you know why I was n-n-n-n-nervous? lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those lucky gardeners! Wish I'd been there for a tour. Your gardens are beautiful Sandy!

Joanne

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Thanks, Joanne! Would have enjoyed having you here, too.

Sandy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It is great fun having people tour your garden! I have had many tours and I always enjoy them, even if the weather does not cooperate.
Lovely garden Sandy - looks like it would be a great spot for a roundup!
Hey maybe if I ever get back down to visit my DB in Miss. I can make a little tour around Ontario to visit shelties and gardens! ( I lived in Ottawa for 8 years a long time ago!)

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Well, you know you would always be welcome for a visit, Carol! We have no shelties but my dog loves company. Besides, how hard is it for plantaholics to find something to talk about 24/7! ViolaAnn is not too far away, either, we may be able to talk her into teaching us the viola or handbells.... could be quite a cultural experience :-))

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Joanne and Carol - all you need to do is plan a trip to the Nation's Capital - Ottawa and we'll go see Sandy's garden. Take 1 hour from my house to hers and I'm planning to get there on Tuesday. I have to see her garden at least once a year. She gets to see mine occasionally because Ottawa is the BIG city nearby and she comes in periodically, but she doesn't learn much from mine like I can from hers.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh Ann, you way undersell yourself as usual. I would think if we had a Roundup, we'd have to offer a workshop esp. for Calgarians ... how to grow plants in a place where there is no snow in June and July!

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Didn't YOU have snow last week, Sandy? Or was it the last of May?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Yes, we did and it was very unusual for this area! I used to live in Calgary and remember the weird weather, but I also rememer the sunshine. We did relocation packages when I worked for one of the oil companies out there and one of the big plusses they stated was that Calgary has the most sunny days in all of Canada.

Sandy

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Sandy
Wow , Your garden is outstanding!!!!. What a lovely honor for you to host all the folks who may have gardeners. LOL
If I ever get out that way I think I would have zone envy. I think we have +1 or 2 tonight. When the heck are we getting spring?
Anyway you seem to have the right weather and I enjoyed seeing your photo's.
Thank you
Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sandy, you're right about the sun in Calgary. In fact, I think after getting an inch of snow this past Saturday at my place, it was downright sunny later in the afternoon. :( LOL.

Never mind visit Ottawa, I may just MOVE there. I've lived in Calgary all my life and I'm getting sooooo tired of this short growing season.

Having said that, it sure would be great to visit all of you ladies from Ontario at a round up one of these days.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

What a beautiful garden!!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Ann (annabell52) - and I thought I was the only one with zone envy. I would SO love to grow lots of Japanese Maples. Lost another one this year, even though I wrapped it with the Geotextile. Hope you get your spring soon! Actually, we're having a cool spring so far, but it's better than the +30C temps we usually get in June, and all the thunderstorms with the heat. Peonies don't last very long.

Grow_Jo - a roundup would be fun; you westerners will have to teach us how to say a convincing "yee-ha".

Thank you joannabanana.

Sandy

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, I think you guys are talking of a Calgary RU aren't you? And there's talk of one in the Ottawa area as well though I haven't heard much about it lately - Mona in Metcalfe was asking about it and offering to host it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

sanannie simply bogglingly beautious! I'm sure the visitors were awed. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I just got back from a trip up the Valley to visit Sandy's garden and have lunch and exchange Hostas. In addition, she picked up a lovely "Liberty" for me at her local nursery since mine was sold out.

Her garden is more stunning for real than in the pictures and she's got room to expand. I'm so jealous!

Ann

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I can tell from the pics that there are more wonderful things just out of the camera shot. I'm droooooling over the shade areas. My deep shade spots seem to be taking FOREVER to come together sigh.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

LOL ~ Thanks for the unique compliment dahlianut. 'bogglingly beautious'! .... still chuckling.... I know you like hostas, but how much shade do you have on your property, or do you have mostly sunny beds for your dahlia addiction?

Ann, glad to know you made it home safe. I can't wait to see future pics of your Liberty, it should be a real stunner in the spot you've decided to put it. I'm looking forward to planting my 3 new lovelies. Thanks.

Sandy

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am a very shady lady. A good mix of full, part and dappled shade. I am gradually making more sun beds by ripping things out like grass, raised decks and the driveway.

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

A truly awesome garden, Sandy. Thanks for sharing with us. You'll have to keep updating us through the summer on the changes. ^_^

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Thank you, Don :-)

Calgary, Canada

Wow the gardens are absolutely beautiful Sandy. Fabulous hostas and I love the fairies!

Theresa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.