Perennials goin' ON!

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

What's blooming? What's working for you right now? Most everything I've got seems spaced funny, like there's not enough blooming close enough together. Except for this one...

Thumbnail by McGlory
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

See what I mean about blooms spaced out? It's a long ways between the Kniphofia and the Judy Garland rose.

What good combinations do you have going on right now?

Thumbnail by McGlory
Shenandoah Valley, VA

Very pretty! What's that peachy colored stuff on the right in the top photo?

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

That is Iron Maiden penstemon. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/108782/

Mine looks faded and doesn't get as dark red as the photos in Plant Files show. I don't mind though.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's a really pretty photo. Is that a lake? Didn't know you had one that close. Nice Penstemon. I have a Prairie Dusk Penstemon that is doing really well this year and looked nice with the pink and white columbines, Applebloosom Yarrow and purple Iris. I've noticed some years the Penstemon does well for me and others not much at all. I think your other things will continue to fill in, but you could always add a few more lilies in the spaces. They don't take a lot of room.

Susan

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

What looks like a lake is actually the concrete driveway. I call it Concrete Acres. Big enough, don't you think? I'll go take some lily pictures for you today, Susan, so you can see that I do have some. ;-) I want to see some pictures from you!

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

McGlory - Just beautiful!! Is that Anchusa in your first pic? (the blue flowers) I have considered getting it - I love Blue in the garden, but have been afraid of the reports of skin irritation by the leaves. Have you experienced this? Also, what variety do you have? Thanks, Samantha

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I just have the regular old Anchusa azurea, Samantha, and yes, that's what it is. I haven't experienced any irritation, but I'm good about wearing gloves. I just love that stuff! It's a great blue, and it's grown well for only being its second year in the ground. This is the first year it's bloomed. I put this picture in Plant Files.

The only drawback is that the foliage is rather weedy-looking when it's coming up.

Thumbnail by McGlory
Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks so much! I hate wearing gloves, so that may be a consideration for me. I'll keep contemplating - for now! Yours is gorgeous! Samantha

(Lynn) Paris, TX(Zone 7b)

I have some kind of frilly daisy

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Jacob Cline monarda

Thumbnail by lrwells50

I think this may be Lavender Gem coreopsis

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Maybe mealy cup sage?

Thumbnail by lrwells50

A new petite monarda I planted this season

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Purple coneflower

Thumbnail by lrwells50

Some type of penstemon

Thumbnail by lrwells50
Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I can see you have things blooming all down your border, don't you? Good job! It's easy to tell you're further south, my Jacob Cline monarda shows no signs of blooming yet. Love those frilly daisies and the coreopsis too! Thank you for sharing your pictures. :-)

Actually, it's the other side of our creek. We were trying to stabilize the slope and prevent more erosion, but it hasn't been very successful. I'm afraid the next step is to put in rip rap and chainlink fencing to hold it in place. They've built so much upstream that we have a lot more runoff than we used to. My yellow coreopsis seems to have vanished this year.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I really like that Lavender Gem coreopsis. Wonder if it would be hardy here? I'll have to check it out.

Susan

Well, this is the only picture I can find of it, and mine looks darker, so I'm not sure if what I have is Lavender Gem or not! Not at the office where I have my receipts, but I thought I got it from Spring Hill.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lavender-Gem-Coreopsis-Seed_W0QQitemZ310141427033QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090511?IMSfp=TL090511131005r12559

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.