Peas peas peas peas, I'm a goober pea...

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I planted Little Marvel and Sugar Ann this year (1st time planting peas). My dad told me SA's are snap peas, which I thought meant the same as snow peas (= edible pods), but the pods are tough and stringy, even when small. The LM's I shell and eat and they are fabulous...so sweet right out of the garden, none have actually made it to the pot yet. (My 4 year old eats them like candy. :))

Anyway, my question is, what is the difference between a snap pea and a snow pea, and when should I eat/harvest my SAs?

Thanks
pam

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I look forward to the answer!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Hey Victor do you recognize the title of the post? :)

The song???

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Yeah, the one from the civil war. I used to love it when I was a little kid. :)

Yes, that's what I thought. And they're peanuts!

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I read somewhere that "goober" is originally derived from "nguba", which means "peanut" in the one of the languages of slaves brought from Africa (I forget which one).

That's interesting. Wonder why they named the guy on Andy Griffith that.

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Just Wikied it, the language is Kongo (a Bantu language spoken in the Congo). Learn something new every day. :)

I'm under the impression that "goober" also means a goofy person, maybe that is why the character had that name on AG. (Could probably Wiki that, too. :))

So they spoke Kongo in the Congo?? Is that where the conga line came from??

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Here ya go:

Kikongo or Kongo is the Bantu language spoken by the Bakongo and Bandundu people living in the tropical forests of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Republic of the Congo and Angola. It is a tonal language and formed the base for Kituba, a Bantu creole and lingua franca throughout much of west central Africa. It was spoken by many of those who were taken from the region and sold as slaves in the Americas. For this reason, while Kongo still is spoken in the above-mentioned countries, creolized forms of the language are found in ritual speech of African-derived religions in Brazil, Jamaica, Cuba and especially Haiti. It is also one of the sources of the Gullah people's language and the Palenquero creole in Colombia. The vast majority of present-day speakers live in Africa. There are roughly seven million native speakers of Kongo, with perhaps two million more who use it as a second language.

The "conga line" originated with some guy who'd had too many maragaritas and wound up spending the evening with a lampshade on his head. I heard he was from the New York region....... :) :P

Cool - it gets better. The Bakongo speak Kongo in the Congo. (I think he's got it!)

Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

I hear it's raining in Spain these days, mainly on the plain. :)

A goober is the chocolate things you eat at the movies - yeah peanuts. I used to know them in a box though.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Thumbnail by
Fairmont, WV(Zone 6a)

Yup, they have peanuts in them. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.