Shade Faery Garden

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi - Just had to show off my latest fun project! Decided that our local faeries needed a place all their own, and set about make them a home. Just finished (for this year) yesterday, and they were already pushing me out so they could move in! Have plenty of "pretties" for them, as well as sea shells, some tools, lawn furniture, and places to sleep or live. The plants are miniatures, and won't grow much larger than they already are -- Love the hosta, columbine, and violas. Here are a few pics -

First, the faery entrance (although they actually come on in from anywhere -

Thumbnail by dax080

The human entrance - I put in a bench so we can relax too -

Thumbnail by dax080

Here's a pic of the side garden - made to relax and get out of the rain if needed -

Thumbnail by dax080

The larger bed provides a bench, housing, sea shells, sparklies, and some garden tools - Here are two views -

Thumbnail by dax080

And looking the other way - a bench -

Thumbnail by dax080

And moving around the bed to the north, here I'm beginning the next phase -- the children's garden, complete with outhouse -- Thanks for looking! Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

I'm thinking the faeries should feel right at home. The detail is really great and I bet you had fun shopping for all of the miniature plants.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

What a charming garden Dax, and so original. I'll bet that you'll spend some lovely time out on that bench in your fancifal setting.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

So adorable. Love it. Ronna

Yep - in fact, I'm going out now to "relax" - by weeding in the beds around it - I can't believe the weeds this year! I'm about ready to give up! Becki

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Look at you. So creative. What a wonderful little destination. Who built your out house?

(Zone 5a)

Nice fairy areas. Can't wait to see them in person Thurs. Hope the weather holds for the mini-tour.

South, TX

That is so pretty! I just started my fairy garden this evening. You will have to add your photos to the Tiny Gardens thread!

Here is mine. It is nestled under the pink Turk's Cap "forest" in one of my flower beds on my patio. Tiny gardens are so much fun and relaxing to look at and work with. I have more plants to add. Going back to the nursery tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms

Hi - Been following my son to camp last week and just got back. Thanks so much for the kind words, and katie 59, I found the outhouse at a nursery near St. Louis - couldn't resist! Hey, Colette - hope we can still do it on Thursday, too - I'll send an e-mail by Tuesday with directions, etc. - and, Sallysblooms - how darling! I didn't even know there was a Tiny Gardens thread - thanks for letting me know --

Dax

South, TX

Your welcome, you have to go look there.

Medway, MA(Zone 5b)

Dax - what are the plants growing under the human bench? I can't see well enough to i.d. them.

Sally - did the driftwood come like that, or did you add the door and windows yourself?

They're all very nice, everyone!

South, TX

That is not driftwood. It is a heavy piece of Mesquite wood. My hubby found it for me on his family property in the country. It has an amazing shape. I bought the windows and door at Hobby Lobby.

My poor gnome is HOT. So hot outside. He is in the shade at least! :)

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

They are so cute. I am going to have to look for some space in the yard. Oh boy another obsecion(sp)... Ronna

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Just saw this thread.....so cute!!!!

Spooner, WI

Dax, I ADORE your outhouse! Did you make it? I have decided that I must have one in my yard.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

So cute! I love the little hosta. I have some Twist of Lime in planters out front that I will probably plant in the ground before fall. You've given me an idea! I already have a little faerie door and windows on the maple tree in my courtyard, and there's just a bit of vinca in there now. I think I'll play it up with the little hostas and make it look more homey.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Spooner, WI

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread by posting this photo! Here's my "Gnome Home" and mini hosta garden I just finished. The mini hostas are tiny right now, but will fill in. And I am sorry about the poor photo quality. These pictures were taken on my cellphone.

This is in an old stump. We drilled about 6" down in the top & made a planter for wave petunias (it's in a bit of sun on that side, since the tree came down).

Thumbnail by ptilda
Spooner, WI

Here's a close-up of the door. My favorite part is the mailbox!

Thumbnail by ptilda
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very cute, love the mailbox, too.

The "screen door" is priceless!

South, TX

So cute, Ptilda!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

All right everyone I am going to be looking around my yard for something like this. They are so cute! Dax see what you started! LOL. I do have a few small hostas also. I have these really cute gnomes on a "pick" you stick in the ground or a pot. They would look really cute. Oh more work for the garden! But a very cute area. Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.