Evergreen and/or drought tolerant ferns for zone 7b

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to put more ferns in and was hoping to get some opinions. I have Christmas fern, autumn fern, ebony spleenwort and tassel fern, I love them all so I would love more evergreens.

Which evergreens get tallest in this part of the country?
and which are most drought tolerant? I've been impressed with all but the tassel fern's ability to handle long droughts
thanks so much

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

I don't know much about ferns... just getting out of the heat for a bit and decided to peek in here ;)

That being said, I do grow holly ferns, both vareigated and plain green... cyrtomium falcatum. They are both evergreen in my VA yarden. They both also seem to be fairly drought tolerant as well. Neither of them are very tall, maybe 18-20". I do have other ferns, but those are the only "evergreen" ones I have.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I just got cyrtonium falcatum , but didn't know there was a variegated one until I looked it up and came up with these two:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/01428.html
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/67556/

now I want them both, they're awesome! thanks for the info

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Oh! Nice! I have the one that pdn carries but got it locally. My green one came from the Norfolk Botanical Gardens annual plant sale. I got several different ferns from there but am having a brain cramp :( LOL

I might have to hunt down the other one too! It's gorgeous! Thanks :)

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

I should have known better than to really look at what Plant Delights has when the open house is coming up....I'll stop after this, but this one is really nice:
http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/Detail/01625.html

so far out of the evergreens I have, the autumn fern, 'Brilliance', has gotten way bigger than I thought it would, it's at least 3' tall and as wide

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

thats nice! pdn has great plants! Good thing I don't live closer. I usually only order once a year or every other year because their shipping kills me.

wow, your brilliance sounds like a monster. I'd like to add more ferns, but they would need to be able to compete with trees, and my experience with most other plants... the trees always win with few exceptions.

are you going to the pdn open house july 18?

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, ma'am, most definitely! My friend tggfisk hosts a Roundup that coincides with the open house date, this year it will be on Sat. July 18th. Usually we go to the open house first then meet at Lake Benson park for a picnic and plant swapping. We'd love to have you join us!

As tempting as their fern selection is there, my wish list for PDN is a mile long so it's always hard to know what I'll bring home even with a very structured list in hand....some plants look totally different in person and catch my eye ;)

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

she just mentioned that the other day in another thread.

I'm planning on going. but... it's dangerous for me to go to pdn though, LOL.

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

agreed...a list is absolutely necessary ;) I have actually made it out of there without buying anything before just touring the grounds during the open house, it is such a beautiful place. Love the waterfalls. Well, we'll certainly look forward to meeting you there, it's a hot time of year but wonderful people

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.