Today's Garden Pics

Crestview, FL

Here is my bounty for the day, part of it anyways:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

Pickles anyone?

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

I think these will be chocolate cherry tomatoes? They look a little big for cherry tomatoes though and this of course is off my baby. LOL

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

More maters, these all in grow bags:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

another one:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

another one in 5 gallon grow bag:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

still, another one:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

Here is another one:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

And here is the brandy boy:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

The other tomato in the other square footer:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

Here is my bloommaster with a cuke growing in the basket itself:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

My corn, no children popping out of there yet?

Thumbnail by joy112854
Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Joy, I am so envious!!! I can just taste those fresh vegetables. Got my first cucumber yesterday, will harvest first squash today, beans are starting to bloom. Oh for the early on season those of you in FL enjoy. Beautiful garden, think about us less blessed folks as you chow down!

Crestview, FL

Ok, my hanging topsy's and revolutionary planters, almost sweeping the ground already:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

gessieviolet: I'm making pickles soon, I can see it already, how long do cucumbers keep before making pickles out of them?
joy

Crestview, FL

Here is my swiss cheese leafed cabbage, everytime I spray, it rains UGH:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

My melons in lay flat bags of coir:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

The rain just keeps tearing up that weed cloth, gotta find another idea for next season, here is another pic:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

Here are my maters in lay flat bags, I'm concerned as they are planted on weed cloth, like them on the tables, the bugs seem to leave them alone when they are on the tables, on the weed cloth, they think it's a feast:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

More layflat bags with toms in them, the above pic also has my okra in it:

Thumbnail by joy112854
Crestview, FL

If you notice the one bag is totally empty, that had cabbage in it, but it got so riddled with bugs I threw the plants out, I also took a tomato out an transplanted it into a 5 gallon self watering bucket, as you can see, my stuff on the tables are doing well, my stuff on the ground is getting devoured by bugs. Every time I spray, it rains, what to do, right?
joy

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Joy, notice that your okra is in containers with a very low level of mix yet is beautiful. Could I ask you to describe the set up with them. Are they in EB or just in a container with holes in the bottom. How do you fertilize,etc? I got some okra but it's in EBk set up and I'm wondering what I can expect.

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 12:14 PM

Crestview, FL

gessieviolet: This is my second season with okra, it will grow really tall and you need to pick the pods quickly before they get too big, they won't sprout til summer, as they love the heat. They are easy to grow I found. Mine are in HEBs (homemade self watering containers made from two 18 gallon totes, one serves as the reservoir and a pond basket for the wicking device and 1 1/2" PVC pipe for the water fill tube and drain hole drilled through both the outer tote and the reservoir tote. I planted burgandy okra for the first time this season as it doesn't get as hard supposedly, as the green okra. I love okra in gumbo, fried or just with tomatoes and onions cooked together.

I just picked all the cabbages and cleaned them today, as from this point on they will be nothing but bug food if I should leave them, and they are huge enough to eat. I will empty out the totes day after tomorrow, that I had them in and also empty out the GP and EB with strawberry plants in them, they are spent also. Don't know yet; what I will replace them with; but suspect maybe tomatoes from the lay flat bags or try some new plants? I might even decide to plant more melons in the lay flat bags after transplanting the tomatoes from them, I love watermelon. I found about 15 more cukes hiding in the leaves ready for pickling too.
joy

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mercy sakes. I havent been checking this in awhile, That is some great stuff. Im really likeing thos cukes. Bugs have wiped me out,

Corte Madera, CA

Wow!

Joy, now I'm really psyched about the Chocolate Cherry toms. I am growing two (2).

Gardener's Revolutionary Planter - what variety is that? Awesome!

Crestview, FL

Moonglow: I have sweet baby girl and sun gold planted in the revolutionary planters. My daughter and I both had a chocolate cherry tomato tonight, they are very good, they are a little larger than the other cherry tomatoes and have a very distinct flavor of their own.

Garden Glory: The bugs have been a battle here lately too. I think we get more bugs the closer we get to summer here, than in the Spring, the weather is really warming up; problem is, when you spray it rains, and you get frustrated, or I do anyways. LOL I've found lots more cukes hiding in the leaves today and picked about 20 thus far. Going shopping for pint jars this weekend and pickling lime!!!!
joy

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow Joy, your plants have exploded these past few weeks. Enjoy the many harvests ahead.

Kerrville, TX

Bugs are the excuse I am using for this goofy tomato growing system.........trying to get above bug level.

Seriously though, I have noticed the same thing you did.........containers up above ground level, sitting on a table like yours........really does tend to eliminate a lot of bug problems. Maybe next year, you can grow your cabbages on top of a step ladder or something. It sure seems like all plants in the cabbage family draws more bugs than anything else.

Thumbnail by Jaywhacker
Crestview, FL

Jaywhacker: Well, I really have the disease down pat. I picked all the cabbages yesterday. Then today stopped by KMart, wound up browsing the front where they have all the startings, picked up 2 Ichabad eggplants and one icebox watermelon all by Bonnie Bell, they are all comfortable in their new homes now, I took out the roots in the one GP, then took off the top inch or so of potting mix, added 2 cups of dolomite lime, mixed it in real good, added another inch or so of new potting mix, added the fertilizer, then transplanted the eggplants where the cabbages had been. I then transplanted the watermelon in a lay flat bag.

Next season all will be on tables except what goes in the hanging planters and my okra, corn, cukes and melons.

Ray: Thanks. I had my first chocolate cherry tomato and am awaiting the huge green ones to turn reddish. We are in for some rainy weather. Rain produces rapid growth too I think. LOL

joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.