Need advice - farrier / foot/ training...

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Both Mac and Lucas (as some of you already know) are rescues and probably didn't get handled much as colts - or did, and it wasn't a good thing. Both of them are just plain *awful* about getting their feet done - Mac won't pick his feet up at all, neither of them will let you hold the feet for very long. So far no one has gotten hurt, but the day is coming. To make things worse, the farrier I've used for about a year and a half has simply disappeared, and as much as he drove me nuts for talking more than working, and taking forever .... well, after yesterday, I've definitely seen worse. Mac's feet look horrendous.

So, my question is, do feet have to be handled from very young or is there a way to teach old(er) dogs new tricks? Cajun, I know your farrier had to work a bit with Shaq to get him shod, but how did he do it? Is it just a matter of getting out there everyday and picking up their feet over and over and over (assuming I can get them up) or is there something else I should be doing?

Help!

The Dubious Duo:

Thumbnail by Pagancat
This thread has 65 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!