Hosta Musings 3

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Since the Hosta Musings thread is approaching 200 posts, many with pictures, I'll start a new one. You'll find section 2 at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/990648/

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Regal Splendor and Parhelion. I think this is Regal Splendor's fifth year...I think it's still growing. It's really happy in this spot.

Thumbnail by Noreaster
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

One I'm impressed with this year is Jewel of the Nile. I've never moved it or divided it and I got it in 2005 and it's still unfurling a bit. I'll try to get new pics of it tomorrow if I can.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh that is nice ViolaAnn!!

My Elegans didn't get beat up to awful bad...and it has a huge flower forming on it! Year #3 for it!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Medford, NJ

Oh dear. I think I need Regal Slpendor.

Viola, please more pics of Jewel of the Nile so that I can think I need that one too. Love the name!

Dallas, TX

JMP its good time to buy it, its been around for a long time, you could probaly get it for 6 or 7 dollars.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Noreaster I seen a Parhelion the other day in a nursery. Man they get pretty huge. I really liked the leaves on it really different and the very thin margin around the leaves. I have two Regal Splendors not nearly as big as yours, but doubled over the winter... Will have to move them. Probably soon, Ronna

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Here is a row of "Elegans" (I believe). They are seedlings from Frances Williams. This is the first year that some of them are starting to get huge.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

A few of mine are looking really good this year. Alligator Shoes has grown a lot.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Chinese Sunrise is still a bright spot.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Country Mouse had a slow start a couple of years ago but is looking really pretty now. Smaller than the Mouse Ears family.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Deja Blu may need a new spot. It's stretching beyond the borders of this narrow garden.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Ghost Spirit is beginning to develop the misting in its leaves that it gets later in the season.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I don't have a lot of eyes yet on Ice Age Trail, but the leaves are HUGE this year.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

My Revolution, which was a single eye gift from Sandy two years ago (after mine died), now has THREE eyes! :-D

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn
Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How many are in the Mouse series now? I have been on a hosta kick this year and I believe added as many hosta as I have daylilies!
Here is a few that I added this last week.

HILLBILLY BLUES
CLIMAX
SEA FIRE
ALLIGATOR SHOES
JEWEL OF THE NILE
L. CHA CHA

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I know we talked about all the Mouse Ears family on some thread this spring, but I've looked back and it doesn't seem to be this one. Anyway, there's a whole list of family trees at http://myhostas.net/sports/# Just scroll down and select Blue Mouse Ears.

I really liked this one at a garden walk last year. Anyone have any ideas. I was thinking maybe H. montana "Aureomarginata"

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW -- dont know how i got 3 days behind on this thread....

anyhoo, i was reading the "June" comments, so i got out the Hostapedia.... Zilis has some interesting things to say about it....

here's a coupla snippets....

..... Mature plants of 'June' look nothing like their juvenile counterparts.
.....In nursery trade, listed forms such as "June Type I", "June type II", etc..... slight variations with more of less gold i the center. Only careful examination over many years will tell whether they really differ from the true cultivar.

He also commented on the coloring due to how much sun or shade the plant gets.

though i do guess, going out and 'feeling' the thickness of the leaves would pretty much tell you if it were a GS or not.

I also have both, and don't think mine look anything alike.

So you don't think GS has thick leaves, tcs? Now I'm confused again, because whatever I have out there definitely does have thick leaves.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

lemme go for a feel.........

June is certainly thicker than GS, i have them almost next to each other.

GS is not the thinnest of the leaves, [i did reach over and feel Lemon Lime - which is thin] but GS does not have leaves as thick as June.

This message was edited Jun 6, 2009 8:47 AM

I just hope my June stays more on the bluish side. I have it in full shade and I've had it over 5 years.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Noreaster, I'm thinking your June imposter might be Paradise Joyce. Here's a pic of mine yesterday.

Also see: http://myhostas.net/db/view/Paradise+Joyce

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Here it is at the end of the season last year:

Thumbnail by sanannie

Sandy, I think I've considered that one, but the description says it comes up all blue and then changes color...I think mine comes up all green, like Gold Standard is supposed to do. Ok, let me ask this: Does Gold Standard have a waxy coating on the leaves? Mine definitely does, and that burns off at some point in the season. You can see it in this pic:

Thumbnail by Noreaster

shape of the leaf

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Heavy substance

Thumbnail by Noreaster

It's about 28" across, I'm guessing. It was quite a full plant when I bought it two seasons ago. The leaves seem to have changed a lot, and it gained some height this year, but it's still relatively compact looking.

Thumbnail by Noreaster

Sandy, what is the name of the green Heuchera with the pink flowers in your second pic?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Noreaster:
Here's a side-by-side of your June imposter (left) and my P.Joyce (right). Both pics were taken within a day apart. They are similar, but I think you are right, that yours may be Gold Standard. The thicker substance on my P. Joyce is apparent in this comparison.

I went out to check and agree with tcs1366 that by comparison Gold Standard has average substance.

Do you have Halcyon? My P.Joyce and June have the same thick substance as Halcyon. By comparison, my Gold Standard, is not as thick. So, if you could try comparing a Halcyon (thick) with your June imposter you might get a read on substance to ID it. (Substance is quite open to interpretation isn't it).

Sandy

Thumbnail by sanannie
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Oh, the Heuchera you asked about is 'Raspberry Ice'. It starts off with purple tones and gets more green as the season progresses.

Sandy

Sandy, I lost Halcyon last year to HVX, but I do have a real 'June', which feels exactly the same thickness to me as my imposter June. ...really it's leaves are quite thick and not what I would consider average at all. But the other day at the nursery I noticed the Gold Standard seemed of equal substance to the June that was there. You also have GS , don't you? Do you notice the waxy surface on Godl Standard right now?

I really think I need to find room for Raspberry Ice now...is that the one with the long bloom time?

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Yes, there is a bit of a waxy surface on my Gold Standard. But no, the substance between the two are much different, imo. The nursery you mentioned where the June and the Gold Standard seemed of equal substance, was it a different nursery than where you got your imposter June?

Re: Heuchera 'Raspberry Ice': Yep, it's really long-blooming (end of June through to mid October last year), but not quite as sturdy stems as 'Rave On'.

Sandy

No, it was a different nursery. I guess I'll just keep an eye on my imposter...just wondering what to expect as far as mature size.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Keep us posted, as that should tell the tale.

Sandy

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Touch of Class is looking spiffy this year.

Thumbnail by sanannie
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Looks great!

oo, nice and blue! love it, Sanannie

Medford, NJ

OMG Touch of Class is gorgeous...

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

TOC is one of my absolute favorites!! Wish mine would grow faster!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.