What is this critter and is it a bad guy?

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

We have these on roses, tomatoes, peppers, just about everything. Neem oil seems to work on them but I just want to double check and make sure they are not good guys that I am killing.

Thanks!
Laura

Thumbnail by 4xthefun
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

young leaf-footed bugs is my bet. i don't know what instar. if you post on the bug id forum, someone there will know more.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

Leptoglossus phyllopus, I think. I am finding that they are very hard to get rid of once they are adults. Perhaps the nymphs will be easier.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Definitely leaf-footed bugs! Probably second instar. They already have that widened leg beginning to develop. BAD guys!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've probably drummed this thought into the ground, but dr.bronner's castile soap and water dispatches the young and (hooray) the adults in lightning speed! i haven't seen one in my garden this year-compared to last year when they were rampant!

Do you use that on yourself too?

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

yes! and no bugs on me either! lol i love that stuff!

it amazes me how something so gentle and organic can be, at the same time, so deadly to insects.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 9:26 AM

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

4Xthefun, What you have there are called assassin bugs here. They are beneficial as they eat aphids like candy. I am not sure of their actual name, but you can probably get a positive ID at the bug forum or at the website what's that bug. It is my understanding that they are related to a much larger critter called a wheel bug that has a very painful bite, but as yet I have not noticed any aggression from these little guys other than towards pesky aphids and spider mites.

I'm sorry, themoonhowl, but these are not assassin bugs. They are leaf-footed bug nymphs (youngsters). I'll look for my post on telling the difference between the two, and post it here. Many people get confused between the two.

This is Zelus longipes (assassin bug) http://bugguide.net/node/view/164388

And this is the leaf-footed bug in question: (Leptoglossus) http://bugguide.net/node/view/22218

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 10:49 PM

There are several ways to tell assassin bug nymphs (good guys) from leaf-footed bug nymphs (bad guys). They are the same color and that is confusing.
1. There were several of them, together. Assassin bugs are only together at hatching, and very tiny then. If you see bugs "in congregation" they are having a picnic - and your plant is the potato salad.
2. These nymphs have two little black dots on their backs = leaf-footed bugs.
3. As they molt and grow bigger, the back legs will take on that leaf-footed look.

Heads/necks: They also are plumper, and have what I call "no-necks". Assassin bugs are slender and have elongated heads, and bigger eyes.

Mouth parts: Leaf-footed bugs have long thin mouth parts - the "straw" that they suck plant juices with. Assassin bugs "straw" are shorter, curved and heavier, and don't reach under their bodies like those of the leaf-footed bugs. Assassin bugs have to grab their prey and stick that straw into them and inject their poison, and a long straw would get in the way. Leaf-footed bugs can loll around all day, whip out that thin straw that they keep tucked away under their bodies when not eating, and just stand there and slurp plant juices leisurely.

And always look at what they're eating. If their "straw" is stuck into a plant, it's a bad guy. Assassin bugs eat only insects.

I hope this helps.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Okay, time to get the glasses checked....CJT. Either that or I need a fancy new monitor with better resolution...GRIN. Glasses are probably the route for me..cheaper. grin. I have never seen more than 2 or 3 assassin bugs at a time, and don't think I have ever seen a leaf-footed bug. Good thing 4Xthefun doesn't have to rely on my eye sight alone.

Thanks for the links.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.