id grandmothers Irises

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I have had these Irises since 1983 when my grandmothers house burned down in the fire that took her life . After the fire , the property was being sold ,to be bulldosed and then rebuilt . I dug up several clumps of Iris that were up against the foundation . They had been there for as long as I could remember and are the first plants I planted in my yard of my then new house. I treasure them and I really don't care that they are rather common I like to think I pleases my grandmother that they live on a few streets over from where they were originally planted by her in her new house . But I have always wondered what they are ? any id experts out there?
thanks laura

Thumbnail by laurawege
Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

heres another

Thumbnail by laurawege
Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

and another

Thumbnail by laurawege
Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

and last but not least

Thumbnail by laurawege
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

What an awful way to lose her... I'm so sorry. I'm glad you've got those beauties growing in your garden as a remembrance. I love the veining on the first one -- so striking!

I don't have IDs for you, but I think they might be older varieties because the falls are fairly simple in shape and droop down so gracefully. You might check this forum for threads on historic varieties.. I think there are some vendors and sites that specialize in historics, and you might at least be able to find a "looks like" ID for them.

Kingston, WA

Hi Laura,
My apologies for such a quick response..
The first could be Loreley:: Goos & Koenemann, ca.1909, the second could be Flavescens::
De Candolle, 1813,
I have to get my kids off to school so I didn't have time to check the rest, you can take a look at the Historic Iris Preservation site. They have tons of pics :o)

http://www.hips-roots.com/members/1pics-topframe.html

Kind Regards, Rebecca

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Rebecca, that's a members only link. It's so nice of you to try to help her. I have so many TBI from Cooley's that I have lists for and it is still very hard to ID them even at that. Wish someone could help me, I think I'm getting too old for this! ^_^ Have a wonderful day.

Kingston, WA

Hi HappyJackMom,

If you got some of them from Cooley's someone there maybe able to id them. Drop them a note with pics and see if they'll take a look at them.
Also, sorrry about that.. here is a link that you can use and still check out pics, just use the side menu no need to enter the members page. I was in there at the time I posted so just beamed a link :o)

http://www.hips-roots.com/

Regards, Rebecca

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

I'd agree on Loreley http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2244150280032621402zfUgna and Flavescens http://www.hips-roots.com/visitors/v-photos/vp-topframe.html
I don't know the rest but I've had that historic peach before. I collect some historics so they are precious to me even without a family connection. You are lucky to have historics at your house!!

Here are my Flavescens.

Thumbnail by boojum
Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Thanks Rebecca. Probably the only 'older' TBI we have is this NOID one.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Kingston, WA

Hi HJM
What is bloom height? I'm thinking "William Mohr" guess it all depends on how long you've had it, is it a hand me down ect.
I'll check the web but as of now, the only photo I have seen of William Mohr is a drawing from a catalog in 1940. It was the first one I thought of though, the line dates 1925.

Regards, Rebecca

Kingston, WA

Hi Boojum,
Beautiful Clumps there :o)

HJM,
From your photo the flower looks to have some Aril in it, if not all. The other one I came up with is "Elmohr" :: Loomis-Long, 1942

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/60792/

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks rebecca, I have enjoyed looking through al of the pictures on thew web site
laura

Kingston, WA

You are very welcome Laura and I'm sure it does please her to know you brought them home with you :o)

Rebecca

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

thanks boojum too
laura
here is my sweet musette

Thumbnail by laurawege
Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

its funny , now that all of my cousins are grown everyone wants some of "grammy's irises" I am so happy I dug them up all those years ago.
laura

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's cool! In case you've got a few extras, have you seen the thread Gemini_sage started for a heirloom iris swap?

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

sweet musette isn't an old one , I don't think... my sister gave it to me recently so it needs to get a few years under its belt before it is devided . it is fragrant too the old one of my grandmothers are in high demand from all of my cousins who were to young to be interested at the time I got tthem now they have families and yards and all want a little piece I tink it is wonderful to have" plants with a past"
laura
here is anoher favorite
edith wolford

Thumbnail by laurawege
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

The first one is especially lovely, and it is in the plant files as "Loreley", a border bearded.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.