Beginner Question: What Are "GROUPS"???

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi :)

I am just starting to learn about clematis and noticed many references to "group" numbers (group1, group 3, etc.).

How many groups are there and what do they mean?

I'm in zone 6 - is there a certain "group" I need to look for?

Thanks so much!

~ Natasha

Appleton, WI

I could type it out, but instead I will give a link to an excellent article on the pruning groups, and how to prune.

http://www.clematis.com.pl/wms/wmsg.php/

Appleton, WI

The link didn't bring you directly to the article. Here is the path to follow once you are at the website.

vines in garden > care and culture of Clematis > pruning

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It may seem confusing at the start but soon you'll see the big flowered ones "mostly" flower in May to June and then again in September - they are "Group 2". So, if they're the ones that catch your eye you're in a good zone to grow them. Your zone should be ideal for growing "most" clematises. Good luck!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Natasha..it's really simple once you get the mental hang of it...
This is a great site to read...Jeanne
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/plantfinder/clematis_17.asp#prune%20clematis

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks to all of you who are trying to help me :) DG is the most incredible community!

I have one more question:

If a clem. is described as having a bloom time of "JUNE- SEPT.", for example - does that mean it is in constant bloom that whole time, or do the blooms come in flushes?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

One flush from the end of May into June and rebloom in September.

That was my original question when I started in with clem's.

Appleton, WI

Knitty- it depends on your clematis. Some group 2's bloom well on both old and new wood, so you can have blooms all summer long. One group 2 that blooms that way for me is General Sikorski. While it isn't a prolific bloomer like some, I appreciate that there are always blooms on it beginning about mid June to whenever we get a hard frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.