Polish Spirit

Clematis terniflora

I have Nelly Mosher and Jackmanii growing out in pots to be planted in fall

and I just ordered:

Claire De Lune
Comtesse de Bouchaud
Gazelle 'Evipo032'
Princess Diana

From Silver Star Vinery which will be planted next week. Will I have to wait 2 years or will I get blooms next year?

I am patient but excited if that makes sense.

Delaware, OH

you will get blooms this year from polish spirit in mid summer. terniflora in fall if you pruned it. late summer if you did not prune it.
clair de lune may have one or two blooms next spring, but it will be worth the wait. you may get some small blooms this summer it is if is an ssv root. a late bloom. gazelle might bloom in late summer for you. diana will probably not bloom this year.

not sure on royal velours, i jut put a 2 tiny little ones in, but i do not see why you won't get blooms this year if you planted last year. not sure on the countess, i would say probably not. but you never know.

that said, clems are amazing and with ssv roots this might be overly cautious guidance. here is clair de lune , with haku ooken, this year, alas she is already bloomed out for the spring. it is 5 years old. not from ssv, so i had longer to wait.
totally get patient but excited!

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Appleton, WI

Great combo, Cg.

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info. This ugly yard hasn't been worked in years but since I got a hold of it last fall I am determined to turn it into my haven. I am planting climbing roses (plus lots on mini's) and hydrangea and clematis to cover all the ugly fences belonging to the neighbors.

I will be patient, as I would rather have a living screen covered in blooms than the stockade fencing my husband suggested.

Delaware, OH

a lot of my landscaping is in reaction to a neighbor's putting a fence in 10 years ago. we did a berm in front of the fence with arbor v's on it, they are 15 feet tall now and we have the area behind the berm as a hidden garden kind of trial and comfort area. here is a pic from front and then will post one from rear.

Delaware, OH

and from the rear. there are two of these berms. largely mirroring each other , each with 15 of the now 15 ft arbor v's as the back tier. (the trees were 25$ ea 10 years ago)
lotta clems on the back of the berms, and shrub tiers on the fronts!

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

That is beautiful. We don't have room for anything like that but I wish we did. I live in an old village with small lots and houses close together.

Delaware, OH

covering the fence is a great idea still. clems at my place love to grow on climbing hydrangea. try and find moonlight hydrangea. i have one and it gets raves. most of mine are the most common types, grown just for coverage and to be living trellises!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.