Poor thing got caught

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

I keep the netting low so birds don't get caught, so this snake ends up dying, I'm hoping it's a bad snake. Does anyone know it? I also want to go out in the back yard and work but if there are poisonous snakes, even the non-poisoning give me the heeby geebies. But I have stopped killing them on purpose.

Thumbnail by wormfood
Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is the underside.

Thumbnail by wormfood
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Here is a site for snakes common to Florida.. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/FL-GUIDE/onlineguide.htm

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

A short tailed snake maybe? http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herpetology/fl-guide/stilosomaextenuatum.htm

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

There's just a few poisonous snakes, even in Florida, so you can real quick be sure it's none of them, and go on about your business.

There's definitely things in my yard which I don't particularly care to be around, but which I rationally know should be there. It's a balance...

I am leaning towards Brown watersnake

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

Welll there's no water around us, they hear the water sound from my pond or smell it, especially at drought periods, i see alot of different snakes. Just as long as they keep going. (a herd of cows stopped for a drink, took almost a half of the water)
Sometimes snakes get into my shadehouse, which used to be a bird aviary. it's enclosed in 1/2" hardware cloth and over a 2 year period 2 of my gigantic fantail goldfish dissappeared. Moby Dick and Spot. Not a trace of bones or anything. I was told it could have been RATS. They swim in the water and bring out a fish and carry it off.
Now we've noticed Flying Squirrels in our bird feeder at night, never saw those cuties before, so now I'm afraid about putting rat poison in the shadehouse.
Did you ever see a snake go up a tree trunk? It's so cool.
I'm gonna have to move out if I get any more wild things around here.
2 Wild boar came for some chicken feed U-G-L-Y
And (2) 3' Iguana, they like the cassia flowers.

LOL...sounds like you have a very busy place!!

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, it's pretty scarey sometimes.

Norwalk, CT

This is a Southern Hognose Snake (Heterodon simus). Harmless toad eater. Not very often seen, either.

Just to introduce myself, My name is Mike. I am a biology student from Connecticut. I'm here to help you folks identify the wildlife you are seeing in your gardens. I am especially interested in reptiles & amphibians. I have been studying them for over 20 years.

Lecanto, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome, Mike. You'll be happy to hear that I've stopped killing snakes purposely. I've read up on the ones I see. Actually I run in the house and then I get on the computer. It doesn't matter how much knowledge I get, they scare the begeebers out of me. I know the man who runs the Homosassa Wildlife Park and I'll report this to him. He'll really like that.
I love the lizards around here. anoles, skinks, black snakes (they're ok if they're small). There was a very large black snake (6 footer, 2-3' diameter) upsetting my bluejays and I shot it with my paintball gun.
I have the gun for birds of prey. And usually don't put the paint balls in it. Just the loud sound is good most of the time. But this one big momma brings her babies every year. She's got a wingspan of at least 4'. Lives up by the sandpit, all pines and scrub oaks. She pisses me off so bad I'll hit the tree with rapid fire. She's either teaching the babies to pluck the baby bluejays and cardnals out of the nest or she's teaching them to get away from loud guns.
And why don't they eat the squirrels?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.