Papaya seedlings

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I thought I'd pass this observation to would be Papaya lovers!

Observing some seeds that sprouted wild in the garden, I noticed that seeds coming up in very loose soil with large mulch grew extremely fast, in fact the same tree that volunteered in very little soil is 5 times the size of others growing from the same time. Sooo...I prepared a loose mixture with quarter sized pine bark mixed in, and the propagation rate is off the hook.

Rj

PS...Jenny, the Papaya seeds you sent..are they hermaphrodite? My one tree is growing fruit...I didn't expect that.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
noonamah, Australia

One thing about them is they don't like acid soil. Keep the pH higher and they're happier.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Interesting as I'm using pine bark.

noonamah, Australia

Many years back I lived where the soil (sand) had a pH of about 5.3. The seedlings never got beyond the seedling stage. Until I got a lot of wood ash (a real lot) and mixed it into the soil before planting. After that I got them to fruiting in no time. Where I am now the water (from a bore) has a pH of 7.2, and the ground's been getting watered with that for years. Seedlings come up on their own all over the place from birds and flying foxes scattering them. I understand a pH of 8 would still be okay.

Similar story with passionfruit.

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha Rj - glad you are having good germination with the papaya. The strawberry papaya (in that it is red fleshed) is probably a solo variety, and I believe Solo varieties are bisexual about 2/3 of the time - good going!

My soil is mostly 6.5 to 7 in the garden, and very gravel like with volcanic rock. Papaya germinate everywhere around here, including the road sides, so the loose potting material seems right....

Keaau, HI

Papayas are certainly offended by acidic soil!

With the organic soil and high rainfall here, it is a chore to get Papayas to produce. In the lowlands where there is better soil and less rainfall, they grow like weeds!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

it could be that I put Lava sand in the mixture that's got them all excited then.
Thanks Jen..disregard the repeated question on your other thread!

noonamah, Australia

I just read, or skimmed, through some of the other older thread on Papaya (we call them Paw Paw here) - Papaya 101 "My Experiences" - and just though I'd put a few of my own observations on this shorter thread.

Fresh seed germinates faster than dried seed.

The fastest growing seedlings are usually males and I remove most of them.

One male plant on your property is enough to fertilize any number of females.

In fact one male growing within a kilometre of your place is sufficient. I get fruit set without male plants, and this is a 20 to 320 acre area.

Higher pH is better, above 7 usually.

Waterlogging is a death sentence.

Quickly damaged by strong winds.

Very susceptible to termites, especially Mastotermes darwiniensis.

Here they only grow single stemmed. If broken and a number of new stems begin to develop, only one will grow and the rest wither.

That said, if broken or cut no matter what you do here they succumb to fungus. But they're so fast growing it doesn't matter.

When I want to protect the fruit from birds and flying foxes I cover them with shade cloth (only the fruit).

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We called them Paw Paw in Africa too (Liberia) I miss the flying foxes! those are good tips..thanks

I was surprised that the Papaya grew more than 1 top after it froze. That particular tree is huge now.

noonamah, Australia

I know that down south (colder) when they get too tall people often cut the trunk and put a tin can over it. There it seems to be enough to stop the rot setting in and they get multiple stems. It becomes a shorter bushier plant. Has never happened here for me though.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes, I use wine corks to plug them up...that for after the Hurricanes come and do an eggbeater omlette version to the garden. Although the big ones would need a can!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.