beneficial nematodes

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I just bought 7 million nematodes and I want to use them before the japanese beetles pop up. It may be too late. Whaaaaa!! I can't find the instructions on how to apply them. Can anybody help?

Thanks,
Harper

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Harper...if they are applied in the same way that Milky Spore is, I believe you would broadcast them in a sprayer...not 100% sure though. I was always under the impression that we in the NE should apply/use any type of beneficial for underground grubs in the fall. I hope someone else can chime in. I don't want to give false information especially since I've never used them, and I only know (what I do know) from literature that I've read.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I thought that too, but then read that they're not winter hardy. I also bought Milky Spore, but that'll be for the long term.

What kind of sprayer Thom?

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I believe, again don't quote me, but the sprayers that you can put herbicides/pesticides in. I believe WM sells a 2gallon one for about $9, give or take. Again, if these are broadcast the same way that Milky Spore is, the 2gallon sprayer should work. I wonder why they aren't winter hardy? I'm gonna go to that Bugs Alive website...lol...this has got my curiousity going now.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=811

I'm going to call them...I swear I thought they nematodes were winter hardy, and that Milky Spore was the "iffy" thing. I'll get to the bottom of this...lol.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Ok...just got off the phone with Gardens Alive...lol. This was driving me batty. Both Nematodes and Milky Spore are NOT winter hardy in 5b. So I can only assume that they aren't winter hardy in 6a. The woman that I spoke with on the phone said for both Nematodes and Milky Spore to be fully effective the ground temperature needs to be around 50 degrees. She did state the for the summer they are highly effective against all grub insects. So...the nematodes will eat/kill any grubs in the ground all summer, but will die off once the weather turns cold.

Wheww...lol.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Nnnoooo!!! Argh! I'm in fits. I think I'll call my cooperative extension. They sell milky spore all over up here. It's gotta be hardy... crying in puddles.

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

The cooperative extension hotline is closed until tomorrow at 9am. Boo Hoo.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Did you count them, Harp??? ^_^

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

I spoke with them, yes. In fact, I went to a seminar today put on by the cooperative extension and asked them there. Thom was right the first time. Nemotodes are hardy. Milky Spore is not. Now I know!! I'm glad at least ONE of them is hardy! I already laid down the nemotodes and will spread the milky spore soon. At least they'll kill those grubs 'till winter.

You spoke with the nematodes?!!

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Ah! Ha ha ha ha ha!!! You know, I thought you made a typo and meant to say "did you call them?" instead of "count". So I thought you were talking about the cooperative extension. Hee he...

No, I didn't count the nematodes. For all I know, they were dead, or not even there! I did talk with them, though. I didn't hear an answer.

Finding nematodes??

Questa, NM(Zone 5b)

Har har.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.