Cuke Root Maggots

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Anyone having problems with these critters and what did you do to rid them. I have planted cukes 3 times and each time it appears that they are germinating they disappear. I replanted under chicken wire to eliminate birds or chipmunks but to no avail. So I dug into the area and found white termite looking creatures where the cuke seed had been. Looked on UGA Coop Extension and they described the problem to a tee but gave no solution other than a soil drench? While I would like to eliminate these buggers I still want to be able to eat whatever cukes do grow. Any suggestions? I'm about to grow them in pots.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

"...and each time it appears that they are germinating they disappear."

I'd suspect cutworm, and not maggots, if the seed is out of the ground. Try planting a row in a shallow line trench with play sand (readily available). The seed comes out of the ground quickly and many common garden critters seem to have an aversion to sand! I use it to plant and mark rows for beans, cukes, okra and many other row garden veggies with good results.
Laurel

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Laurel...but the seeds never sprout...just as they start to sprout, they are gone the next day. I thought cutworms only work on young sprouts? It could also be those white grubs (June bug larvae or Jap Beetle) as I have seen them in the soil.

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a small caterpiller that blends in with the planting medium, and surface eats any seed that goes on my planting "jugs".It all started with a shortage of germinating plants, until I noticed these brown spotted worms, about the size of an inch worm, eating the seed.I need to know what, and how. Mike

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

Okay, so I sprouted cukes in peat pots and after examining the infested soil didn't see any soil creatures, I planted the peat pots. We'll wait and see.

Decatur, GA

mqiq77,
I suggest you get a good picture of the worm and post it on the bug forum. Someone might be able to ID it for you.
Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.