Just found out my dad has Cirrosis of the Liver

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Does anyone have experience in taking care of anyone with this disease. My dad was diagnosed last week. He is very upset, as am I, but at least now we know what is wrong with him. He has never been a drinker, but relies on pain killers after years of back problems and 3 back surgeries. He does not live with me. My step-mom takes care of him, and she is THE biggest pessimist I know. Anything I ask, she just says "It's so bad". No hard facts.

I saw dad on Sunday, and that day, I saw him cry for the second time in my life. I have cried since then, but could not in front of him. He is so upset and scared. I have to be strong for him, and just told him that that now at least he has been diagnosed, we can start working on keeping his condition from getting worse. He has a hard time being optomistic, especially after being in bed for so many years without a diagnosis.

Does anyone have anything I can go on? I have looked up information on the CDC's website, as well as WebMd and others. I would like to chat with someone firsthand who has gone through this.

Thanks, Hugs, and I appreciate your time.
Jennifer

This thread has 10 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!