Does anyone know what causes this?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I know this is not a great picture but does anyone know what causes this? This is a leaf from my redbud tree. It is not a very clear picture but something is wrong with my camera and I cannot get it to focus.

Thumbnail by Desertdenial5
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Do the leaves eventually brown and fall off? Is the entire tree affected or just scattered areas throughout the canopy? Cercis canadensis is subject to a few leaf spot diseases and verticillium wilt. It could also be a severe nutritional deficiency. How old is the tree and is this the first time you've seen this? Are there any other Redbuds nearby with the same symptoms? Have you done any excavating around the roots or done any grade changes? My best guess at this point is a leaf spot disease. But which one? Not sure. It's not anthracnose. Anthracnose starts in the veins and what I see in your photo is interveinal. Leaf spot diseases are more prevalent when there has been a lot a wet weather. Has it been unusally rainy and wet?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Three of my redbuds had this last year ( 3) the leaves never fall off they just look really bad. No rain here in the desert at least not for another month or two. So far the other 2 redbuds look fine and the one that has been planted the longest looks the best it has in 3 years but this one started this again, I just noticed it and I am not sure how to treat it. I have done no excavating . The tree has been planted for almost 2 years I bought it as a bareroot at Lowe's

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

That's all good news. It's not verticillium wilt which is an untreatable killer. Being sporadic rules out nutritional deficeincy. It is likley one of the leaf spot diseases. The other possibility is spider mites, given the dry weather. To check for spider mites, tap an affected leaf, while it's still attached to the tree, over a piece of white paper and see if anything falls off. It would be tiny, tiny specks that move. A magnifying glass would help.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I will try that when I go home tonight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.