need some basics

Medina, OH

I llive in Northern Ohio with heavy clay soil. Have always loved Heucheras, but am afraid my affection is turning to passion. Would appreciate some help with types of soil they like, any special planting tricks, fertilizers and winter care. Thanx. Susan

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I learned recently most heucheras don't like clay soil. I do have palace purple, rasberry regal, & beaulois in clay soil and they are doing fine. All my other heucheras - made a garden with potting soil. Hope this helps alittle.
Debbie
PS. I've lost a couple of heuchers by planting them in my clay soil.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have lots of heucheras and found I have great luck heavily amending the planting hole with compost or composted manure. Be sure the bed has good drainage, they won't take wet feet.

mao

Medina, OH

Debbie and Mao-Thanks for your advice. We have been inundated (you too, Mao?) and some of my recently planted Heucheras are drooping. Think I shall dig them up and let them dry out a little-then rework the bed with composted horse manure and better soil.

Some of my older Heucheras are just fine and really thriving-am afraid that since I am now paying attention to them...could be the kiss of death...

Mao, we are practically neighbors. Any great nurseries down there? We have some good ones up here if you are up for a road trip?

Thanks for your advice. Susan

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I was in Medina just this morning for my grandsons spring program. I lived in Seville for many years and my DH still works there so I am familiar with your nurseries. There's nothing to brag around here. I love road trips but thanks to the economy I won't be buying anything this year.

I find heuchera like a bit of attention. I like to check them every spring to see if they've become woody and need divided or if they have heaved and needs set back in the ground.

mao

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Skeeler, we've got "heavy clay soil" here too :( When I moved here from Maine 10 years ago I didn't even do any gardening the first year because I was so miserable from the frustration of digging in this crap! Over the years I've learned to deal with it and usually amend the pocket of soil where I'm planting with a little potting soil. Then I mulch and let the worms do my work for me and most of the Heucheras have done well :) The most important lesson I learned after moving here: when the soil is wet, stay out of the gardens! That heavy clay will quickly compact and turn into a brick :( Always wondered why there were so many brick homes here - now I know, the red clay soil makes great bricks! LOL

Medina, OH

Today I "took the "bull by the horns" and cleared and tilled my new heuchera bed. Then added some aged horse manure and tilled again. The bed gets dappled sun until about 1. Now am playing checkers with the pots to get the right combination. Wish me luck! Susan

Athens, PA

Susan -

post pictures when you are finished - I'd love to see.......

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Best of luck, Susan. Could you tell us which varieties you're growing. We might have different experiences with individual plants. We Agree about the pictures. I love to tour other peoples gardens and seeing what they're planting.

Here's a picture of a Palace Purple volunteer growing in a crack in the sidewalk.

mao

Thumbnail by maozamom
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

"Aged horse manure" - one of my favorites! We used to have a big 'ole work horse and that manure was perfect for fluffing up the soil. Of course then I'd have to weed out the oats that grew! LOL Will look forward to seeing your photos!

Medina, OH

Thanks for all of your encouragement. Today I worked until 1 and now it is raining and I have stable work to do, so the actual planting will have to wait. The varieties with which I am working are: Dale's Strain, Plum Pudding, Palace Purple, Ring of Fire, Silver Lode, Crimson Curl, Key Lime Pie and Silver Scrolls. I have some NOIDs which I will photograph and post as soom as I can get hubbie to show me how to do it. I am such a dinosauer! Will appreciate any hints you have to offer. Thanks again. Susan

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Susan - I was told to use gypsum, perlite or vermiculite and lots of composted manure from others on the soil/composting forum and this one. If you google the gypsum, you will see you need to use it for 3 years before you see a change. You can google the perlite and vermiculite and read about that too - helps create air pockets in the soil. I'm tilling some areas now with all of the above and replanting the ones that have been unable to grow because of the clay. We're sitting on clay fill, our property was once very low from what I understand. No fun for gardening huh?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.