June 2009 - In the Garden

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

So let's start seeing what we have in bloom in June. Here are the foxtail lilies beginning to open.

Thumbnail by haighr
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Dracuncula vulgaris, smaller than ever usually this has a 3' spathe, this one is quie small.

Thumbnail by haighr
South, TX

Great pictures. I took some pictures today. Caladiums, not really flowers, but so pretty, just like flowers.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
South, TX

another

South, TX

We plant a lot of caladium bulbs each year. Some come back every year, but we replant.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Oh I really like the caladiums. I have several and noticed the other day that something has been seriously eating one of the so out came the spray. I love how you use them in your arrangements. Can't wait to see the next one hint hint!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh WOW! caladiums.. so lovely! I never had any luck with them. Them and cannas.. I always seem to manage to kill them before they get a chance to get too big.

Anyway, yes haighr, that valarian back in May was white. It does take on a faint pinkish hue before fully opening though, but the blooms on full impact are pure white!.

For those wanting ot see it, here is the link back to go and see May 2009 in the garden too!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/996648/

So, OK, what is the secret to lovely caladuims and cannas?

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Well I have just finished spraying mine to keep them from being eaten alive. Cannas, I didn't bother to plant mine this year, or did I? Isn't that awful just can't recall. Guess I'll know if any pop up. I do know that mine only like the very fullest sunshine that can be provided.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dont cannas like wet?

I think caladiums prefer shade, but since I know nada about them, I am only guessing by the pictures above!

Well, here is a wild pink rose we have growing in our woods. The pic doies not do it any justice.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Dont know about that bb, just know mine like the sunshine. I have the caladiums in partial shade and they do fine.

South, TX

Yes, here in S. Texas, the caladiums need shade, mine have sun, but under my oaks. My oaks are thinned so that sun reaches the inside of the oak and plants below. I love my caladiums and mixing them is stunning. They are showy and look cool in the summer heat all summer. I hate summer but love the caladiums and crepe myrtles that do so well in the heat.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2009 10:39 AM

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I managed to kill 2 crepes as I didn't have them in enough sunlight and I hated it because they weren't cheap.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Never tried any crepes. I figure I am too wet and probably have too poor of soil. Today we did some digging and put up 4 new snowball bushes to pots, dug some honeysuckle vines and put them in pots, had a stray sweet autumn clematis that also got potted. And finally planted my blue hydrangea and some other trees and shrubs.

Did a bunch of work in the GPS. Transplanted a bunch of tomatoes and struck new cuttings of mums. coleus, begonias and theblue hygrangea along with bumping up the first cuttings I made earlier this season.

Did a bunch of weeding.

Well here is an old rose we brought from the farm. It was his mothers.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This is a fern my friend beautygirl gave to me years back and to which I wished I new the name of!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The baby sun rose, which is now in a hanging basket!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Dark pink columbine

South, TX

Great pictures!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Lily pads in the lil pond!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The spiderwarts! These guys are taking over the place right now! But I love them dearly!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Another fern from beautygirl.. its not quite an ostrich fern.. I am nnot sure exactly which one it is.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

A gaillardia (red) and hoary pacun (yellow) that lives on our prairie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Asclepias - milkweed...out on the prairie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Veiw of the prairie to the woods.. the white is yarrow, the yellow is hoary pacun and a bunch of other stuff! There are things like laitris, pinks, monarda, rattlesnake master, milkweeds, poison ivy, grape, just a bunch of goodies and not so nice!

Trees are mostly poplar, several variety of oaks, sassafras, mulberry, raspberry, sumac, elderberry.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I dont know what this wild weed is, but I think it would amke for a nice floral dried! Gather them and use them for fillers!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

baby apples!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Milkweed by fence

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

wild flower of some description on the prairie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Another unknown wild weed, I think though that it might be in the nightshade family. First time I have seen it on the prairie

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

same wildflower as above but with flowers and found in woods

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

A strange vine that grows in our woods

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Mulberries - not quite ripe yet, but man when they are, they are yummy!

Well, thats all for this series today. Will have to go take more again! So I am heading back to my GPS4 where some work awaits me!

See you there!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/996881/

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 6:10 AM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, new series.. sweet clover.. there is a honeybee somewhere in this shot I was trying to aim for!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This thing is like an overgrown dandilion. It will get a puff ball of seeds when it heads out. You can see the unopened puff head bud next to it. I do not know what t is called but it is on our prairie!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Another wildflower...liatris, heading out getting ready to bloom

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

....echinecea also known as a purple coneflower heading out getting ready to bloom

This message was edited Jun 4, 2009 12:55 PM

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

This is a small colony of rattlesnake masters.. they almost look like yucca but are not! They are on the prairie in kind of a wetland

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

almost looks like a sensitive plant, but am not sure! Its in our woods

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

in the woods.. I am not sure.. Solomons seal or Duttchmans breeches.. I am leaning towards solomons!

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice pics BB! That "strange vine" is very interesting, the way the leaves look puffy.

I like all the wildflowers you have that add to the look of your place. We have some wildflowers, but most of the blooms we have are from stuff we planted.

Here is my 1st week of June contribution...

This is part of my butterfly bed, and has attracted mostly bumble bees so far!

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Another section thst shows the cleome more, and some phlox

Thumbnail by yardqueen1948

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.