Blooming In June

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I am quickly falling in love with abutilon. This one is Abutilon pictum 'Thompsonii' without the variegated foliage.

You can go here:

http://www.xeramtheum.com/Abutilon_Pictum_thompsonii_6-1-9.jpg

to see an "in your face" shot .. 12.9 megs .. dial ups beware.

X

This message was edited Jun 1, 2009 1:16 PM

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Kannapolis, NC

Good for you, X. You started a June thread. I am anxious to try some abutilon myself.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Every time I see one of these abutilon pictums, it's a jaw dropper .. too bad they aren't hardy where I live .. but that's what the greenhouse is for.

X

Kannapolis, NC

You're right. I know when I get one (or some), it'll have to live in a pot and come indoors for winter, but I think they're so delicate looking in bloom.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Not blooming but this one is getting interesting. I received this cutting in a trade, person said it was a red hot poker hibiscus. The leaves are coming in variegated but in different colors, some dark red, some var red, some var green. Supposed to have red flowers which will probably be in a few weeks by the looks of things. Not sure what the real name of this is but it looks like a tropical hibiscus of some sort.

Oops it's this. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/46827/
I had it written down, I seem to be getting smarter in my old age about keeping records of the plants I have. I really should make a map of where things are hiding.

This message was edited Jun 1, 2009 3:55 PM

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Yep, that's Red Hot although you sometimes see them under other names.

This is begonia Bellagio. I got this one last year at a gardening conference and although it was blooming nicely then it barely bloomed again and looked pretty hottible. I left it out all winter figuring it was about dead anyway and just look what it has done. It is hard to believe it is the same plant.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Tropical hibiscus Mr. Ace.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Shhhhhh, don't tell what I have growing in my lotus pot.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Neomarica Natasha

Thumbnail by ardesia

Pink Jatropha. This plant has been unusually hard to get started and I almost lost it several times but unlike it's much larger red cousin, this one made it through the winter for me. The red is finally coming back from the roots however.

Thumbnail by ardesia
Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

Here is mine

Thumbnail by susandonb1141

Another one

My Memorial Day rose.

Kannapolis, NC

Susan: Pretty roses. What are they?

Angie

I don't know what the climber is I actually posted it in Roses hoping to get an answer.

Thank you

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Salvia darcyi, from PDN several years ago. Blooms continuously from late May to frost. Reliably hardy in z7b+ with good drainage. It does tend to spread but that's not a bad thing - I wouldn't call it invasive. Foliage is a bit sticky and stinky but the flowers are beautiful and a favorite of hummingbirds.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Kannapolis, NC

Tom: How tall is that Salvia darcyi? It looks pretty big. No wonder the hummers love it. Look at those blooms!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Maltese Cross

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

Cranesbill or ?geraneum

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

Blue-Eyed grass

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

Pansies

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue

I think this is called "windflower", but could be wrong. It just showed up!!

Thumbnail by BirdieBlue
Kannapolis, NC

Sheri: I think you have Oenethera and you need to keep an eye on it. In Asheville it's eating my garden!

Angie

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Lol, I actually BOUGHT some seeds of Oenethera cause I though the flowers were so pretty .. then I read about them in plant files .. they aren't going anywhere near dirt!

X

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

oh oh X my mom planted some in her memorial garden a week ago - should I go yank it? but then again - she does love flowers (hmmm see where I get it from) and it is a raised brick bed about 2' tall.....

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Read about them in plant files .. they are literally eating people's gardens and they can't get rid of them. It convinced me I don't want them.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/236/

Best bet is to plant in a pot and dead head before it can go to seed.

X

When I grew them they really took over although they weren't that difficult to pull up.

Interestingly, my neighbor planted some last year and I haven't seen any this year. I wonder if they have introduced a sterile hybrid?

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Hemophobic - the Salvia darcyi gets about 3 ft tall.

I agree that Oenothera speciosa is very invasive. It spreads by underground runners that are almost impossible to pull out completely and it keeps coming back long after you think it's finally gone. I wish I had never planted it. If you grow it in a pot make sure the pot is not sitting on the ground because it will probably grow out the bottom.

Oh my goodness! Guess I'm on my way for my 1st 'pulling" session of this pretty little demon child.
Thanks!!
And I always thoink they are so pretty whjen I see them. guess they are if that's all you want in an area!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia, you being on an island, I'm wondering if your ground water is slightly brackish. That's the case in Lauderdale where my parents live .. There are number of plants that won't put up with it.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I have learned from others experience to ALWAYS check out plants in plant files before I trade or buy. I pay attention to the negative comments.

X

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I was just looking at my Brugmansia Room today .. it's really coming along .. almost all of the brugs have buds now. Can't wait until September when it will all be in bloom at once and about 6 feet tall!

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've just started to select the plants for this corner with the White Butterfly Ginger (hedychium). I'll be working on it all Summer .. It only gets about 2 hours of direct sun a day at the moment. I've traded for some other Gingers, (curcuma) which will also go in there.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

I have noticed what looks like sunburn on some of my White Butterfly Ginger leaves. What is the best time of day and best amount of lighting for them? Mine are still in a large pot so can be moved.
I realy want to see apicture of your Brug Room later in the summer when it is full and lush. Ahh.....Heaven****

Sheri

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's probably sunburn. Water droplets can collect on the leaves. I moved mine out of the full sun to where they are now. I've found the only way you can grow they hedychiums in the full sun is if you drown them every morning without fail. Otherwise the leaves look "pinched" and pitiful by early afternoon. Mine are looking so much better than they ever have now that they are in bright shade with only a few hours of direct sun. It will be interesting to see if it has an effect on blooming.

This is my second Brug Room. The first (picture) one did pretty well but but wasn't exactly what I had in mind. I dug everything up last year and started over.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum

That picture is lovely. I look forward to more pictures of areas of your garden. I am guessing that it is spectacular!!

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well a few friends are begging me to go live again this year like I did last year. When everything is a bit more mature and blooming I'll stick my camera outside for a few hours and you can log on and see my garden live.

X

Oh goody, goody!!

We do have downright salty groundwater but I don't think an Oenetheras root would go anywhere near it. They are tenacious but their roots don't go that deep. But, maybe they don't like salt spray or something. You might be on to something.

I'm fascinated by the fact that my neighbor didn't have any return. I wonder if she pulled them all out thinking they were weeds.

Sumter, SC(Zone 8a)

I have Tropicana to thank for this beautiful bloom

Thumbnail by rednyr

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.