Ascotiensis

Appleton, WI

Does anyone grow Ascontientis?

Take a look at the 2 photos...

Brushwood: Note that the sepals are narrow and gappy
http://www.brushwoodnursery.com/clematis_ascotiensis.htm

CotW: Here, the sepals wider. The color isn't an issue, most of us know how hard it is to accurately capture the true color of some clematis.
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=74

I don't know what Brushwood is selling, but I want it.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Julia..I have two "Ascotiensis" and mine look like this...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Appleton, WI

Thanks, Jeanne.

Dan from Brushwood replied back. He said the photo is of Mrs. Cholmondeley. I disagree with that too, I emailed him again.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Whatever that clematis is..looks like a pic of an immature clematis ...and " Mrs. Cholomondely" is bluish with yellowish brown Anthers...Here is an immature one of mine to show you how gappy they can be till they are mature.....Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Appleton, WI

Now look at this one again.....

http://www.brushwoodnursery.com/clematis_ascotiensis.htm

Delaware, OH

confusing thread. is brushwoods pic wrong? it is similar to my recollection of asciotensis..i had one years ago that has gone bye bye so put another one in a few weeks ago. i remember it more like brushwoods, jeanne yours looks like a jackmanii suberba to me..but i know how many differences there are in areas,and photos.

Appleton, WI

Dan at Brushwood admitted that the photo of Ascontientis it's wrong. Now I am trying to figure out what clematis is in the photo.

I also posted at GB looking for identification.

Delaware, OH

dans looks like a hot house mrs chummie really. glad i have one in the ground, when it blooms we can compare. i remember mine as larger than jeannne's with a more languid feel to the sepal, but i was not photographing clems back then.

my lawsonia is having a good year and will have giant blooms soon.

Appleton, WI

It could be Gabrielle, but I'll be interested in seeing you Mrs. Chumley when it blooms.

Gabrielle
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=182

Delaware, OH

here is mrs chummie from this year taken last weekend, but not a close up of the bloom. it is a great clem. i will take a close up when i return to to the garden this weekend. there is a quality to the bloom in certain light that is extremely beautiful.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Appleton, WI

It looks like a very pretty clematis that looks great against it's own leaves. I'll have to add that one to my list.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I am sure is it "Ascotiensis"...I have two of them..here is a close up of my "Mrs. Cholmondeley"..mine is only two years old this year but the blooms are HUGE..bigger than my hand...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX
Delaware, OH

this one of mine mine is two years old also jeanne, and was pruned back all the way in early spring. i just don't keep damaged vines after a hard hard winter. mine seems to start blooming high and then work its way down. it is a sun loving clem.
the other side of the arch contains a niobe as you see, and also a mature blue angel, about 5 years old. don't know if chummie will still be blooming when blue angel starts....as mrs chummie was tine and didn't do much last year. we shall see. a 5 yr old violet elizabeth is also tucked in there...can't wait...

Delaware, OH

the brushwood photo is gabrielle. which is sold at brushwood.

Appleton, WI

He does have it! I really want it, but I was afraid it was a group 2. I'm trying to avoid those this year, I have too many already.

Delaware, OH

i hear you.i just put gabrielle in from brushwood in early may.....my plants do better with spring planting.....

Appleton, WI

I'm trying to avoid fall planting even though I've never lost a clematis planted in fall.

I used to have what I referred to as a nursery bed. I'd put newly purchased plants in it if we were working on an area of the garden where the plant would eventually be planted. A few years ago, I planted at least 5 clematis in the nursery bed in fall. When I dug them up to plant them in their permanent home in spring, there wasn't any discernible root growth. I think they would have been better off to have kept them in their pots and just sunk the pots in the ground until spring.

Appleton, WI

Oops, I almost forgot. I did lose a clematis planted in fall. It was one purchased from Chalk Hill during their going out of business sale.

Delaware, OH

yep, that is my curve of learning too. i am cautious about sinking pots in our climate tho as i feel water and air can be around the pot and freeze and be colder than being fully planted out. just my paranoia i am sure.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Deborah..I have a friend whom I've been mentoring with her clematis for 3 years now that lives in Milan Ohio and she did my sink the pots in the soil over winter and they all survived and she planted them the following Spring and they have done awesome (these were liner plants that she potted up to one gallons from Koi)..I was pleasantly surprised and shocked as I too was worried like you..since your fall to winter period is much shorter than mine...I don't have winter until January..so my fall planting seems to be the best for me as we have very wet falls and winters and mild at that...the roots seem to really grow like weeds over winter and when March comes they are just fabulous to be planted...I do plant in spring..but I have only March to May before my temps start hitting the 90's...fortunately for us as a rule we generally have wet springs..altho this spring started with a rain deficit....very rare for us...whereas you have a much longer cooler Spring for the clems to adapt?..Am I right to assume this?...Jeanne

Appleton, WI

I used to be wary of sinking pots into the ground until I went to one a nursery early one April and saw that they overwinter the perennials and shrubs by just putting them into the ground with the lip of the pot an inch or two above the soil line. The hardiest of perennials were sitting above ground covered in a foot of mulch.

The following fall I had about 25 perennials in pots that I sunk in the ground, then covered them with a few inches of mulch. 24 made it through winter. The one that didn't was in bad shape and I didn't expect it to make it.

Delaware, OH

good to have your feedback on overwintering pots. good option if needed i guess.
jeanne, yes we have a fabulous spring this year and a good spring every year. i am in a microclimate, the lake effect never hits us, it is to the north. to the south is the ohio river valley hellacious weather that we also escape. knock wood.
we had a hard hard winer this year but dormancy broke right on schedule. i was in the garden big time from april on, we only had one frost in late april and early may and it was not a hard frost. we have had a few days in the 80-'s already, a couple of weeks ago, but still have evenings in the 50's and daytimes can be 65 to 75. this has been the best, most spring like spring ever and the clems are showing their gratitude too. and rain was heavy early in season at times, not the best, but followed by natural dry outs. some big clems i only started watering a couple of weeks ago. but i planted a lot this year, a lot of dupes and new ones and of course they are under watering as needed from first week may when i started planting, but much of the time they are not in need except the tinest.
my final concern on the pots in the ground is heaving, i will probably not need to do this unless it is some kind of unforseen circumstance, but it is good to know about the success ratio of it.
i like to finish my planting my third week may, which i largely did os they hav etime to ramp up to the heatr as you mention jeanne. i have a few more roots coming in next week, but will be in town for several weeks and do have some watering help when i am out of town so they will be fine.
have busniess in nyc area end june, them mid july going to an internat clem society linda b pruning workshop in the northwest.....it is a very clemmie summer for me!

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Jeanne, would you plant a SSV clem now or pot it up for the summer? I got too eager and now I am worried it might get too hot for the clem, as I am going to plant it in a very sunny location.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Either way you need to make sure and water often to keep it moist..I plant all summer but am anal about sticking my finger in the soil to see if moist on a daily basis and water if it even seems to be drying out..being in a pot drys out quicker than in the soil..if it was me..I'd plant that sucker...Jeanne

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

You have quite a way with words! Although I am not anal by nature, I will be doing the same!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Good for you..how about vigilent?..LOL...Jeanne
I am a wee bit over protective of my clematis..they are my babies and I adore them

(Zone 4a)

Haha I believe most of us clematis lovers are the same way Jeanne!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dawn..how right you are...I can't get enough of my fav babies...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

i don't want babies, i want BIG clems!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

No matter how BIG my clems get..they will always be my garden babies

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Just like your youngest child! My baby is 20.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.