June Orchids in 2009

Indianapolis, IN

Kathy & Todd, good show! Nice stands of Cyps & pics. Kathy, great garden.

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 7:53 PM

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Todd, your C. acaule are a very deep robust pink and an nice patch of yellow as well, beautiful!

Kathy, great display both inside and out, I don't know how you keep it all going in such lovely condition. I really like the Ulla Silkens. Is that a scale upper center Adgm. Summit 'French Town'??

Ken

Indianapolis, IN

Aerangis spiculata. A short spike but I'll take it.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Aerangis spiculata. A little closer.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Aerangis spiculata. Another view.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Aerangis spiculata. Closeup.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Aerangis spiculata. Face-on.

Thumbnail by huiray
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They're beautiful

Hap

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Yes, that garden reminds me of my younger days up north. It's simply wonderful. And all those orchids. Hardly anything is blooming here but lots and lots of growth on all my seedlings. In time they will come alive and show me their inner beauty.
I've pretty much given up on weeds as it is a losing proposition to try to keep them away from the planted items. I just pull the biggest as they get in my face.
Fred

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Answer: tons of mulch. And lots of weeds hide under plants. Today bbrookrd is joining me to weed some. I'll check for scale on French Town, thanks. It is even more amazing in the garden today!! I feel a bit insane with all I have to do. No help this year.

That aerangis is so CLEAN!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kathy - and surely tons of elbow grease...bbrookrd will have nothing to do. :-)

Raymond, the Aerangis spiculata is beautiful! I agree, clean and spotless too!
I appreciate the different views/angles.

edited for duplicate words

This message was edited Jun 8, 2009 6:44 PM

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great orchids Jim and Kathy! My goodness Kathy, between your orchids and your garden, where do you have the time! My Siberians are not even showing buds yet...our I. pumila are just past their peak and the early beardeds will be open in the next week or two.

Meanwhile, I love my garden this time of year....the plants look so fresh and uncrowded...for now!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and another view of my postage-stamp garden

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Indianapolis, IN

Nice garden, Todd.

Thanks, Kathy & Ursula.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think my garden needs WORK!! Looks good, Todd.
A small Opossum got into my little herb garden today. Preferred greens were cucumber leaves - ready to start climbing, 2 nice clumps of Parsley and Cilantro. After that the little thing got badly tangled in the protective netting of the bog garden and needed to be cut out of that. DH did a really good job with that! During this procedure it did what Opossums do, which was a good thing, ( those teeth are sharp!!) and a while later he had disappeared. Hopefully he appreciated this extra chance/is too scared to come back and will leave my stuff alone. If not, 2 Havahart traps are set!! ( He might play golf with some Squirrels.....)

Today my Lc Irene Finney 'Spring's Best' AM/AOS is finally fully open, it is beautiful and the large blooms smell delicious.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

This plant opened an armful of these large flowers, here is a single one. We are enjoying this beauty!

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Neofinetia falcata var. - from left to right:
Tamakongo, Onami Seikai, Benisuzume

I took these 3 plants later on inside today to enjoy the lovely scent.

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Onami Seikai and Benisuzume discussing the day's events.....

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Tamakongo still has some salt on the older leaves, but the new leaves are clean on this nice bean leaf Neo.

Thumbnail by RUK
Indianapolis, IN

NICE, Ursula. Lovely C IF SB. Great Nfs, again yours are ahead of mine, probably because I let mine go into deeper dormancy than you do yours.

Raymond.

Indianapolis, IN

My C Irene Finney 'Spring's Best' , fully open. Taken this morning.

Raymond.

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

C Irene Finney 'Spring's Best', a little closer.

Raymond.

Thumbnail by huiray
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks!
Raymond, your IF is displaying beautiful! Did you stake each spike separately? Just Gorgeous!!
I just made sure the heavy flowers are a bit supported so the spike doesn't kink, as forewarned.

About the Neos, I have to take some pics of Shutenno. The root tips on that one are bright red and very cute.

Sigh, my neos look so small!
Lost shutenno, too.
Love your garden Todd!!
What did we decide this putative bullyana was?

Thumbnail by boojum
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

not sure...certainly NOT bulleyana!

Gone out of town until next week...gone on a short birding trip to western Newfoundland. See you all in a week!

Happy birding, Todd. I just went birding in RI this weekend and saw lots of warblers. But I often see more birds in my yard!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Todd, you garden is beautiful.

Hap

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Back to Orchids :-)
as promised, here are the red roots tips of Neofinetia falcata var. Shutenno

Thumbnail by RUK
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

- and the somewhat wild looking plant. Since I don't contain the roots in the traditional style of Sphagnum wrap, they are all over the place. The plant is budding.

Thumbnail by RUK
Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Ursula, That is a wild looking plant--roots and leaves going in every direction. I've never seen a plant with red root tips. Is that common, or something particular to that species?

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Kathy, your garden is beautiful this year! Post a few on the other thread if you like.

Todd, nice, neat and compact. Nothing wrong with that. Very nice!

Irene Finney is one of my favorites. Thanks for the posts Ursula and Raymond.

Back to my psychopsis. The one that just bloomed is a double. I first thought it was deformed but on inspection, there are two blooms there. First time I have seen this.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And another view.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

So then I looked over to my other one and this is what I saw. I think someone is slipping steriods to them.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, Jim. I'd be happy to have a bud.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The Aerides houlletiana is beginning to open.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is Phal Sogo Pearl.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Wow, Jim. Those double blooms are impressive. Especially since I've done in about 4 plants now (taking a breather). The Aerides is wonderful already.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sarah,
yes, there are other Orchids which also have reddish root tips when active, just looking at my plants - my Blc Copper Queen, Vanda David Gardner have them and surely there are many more. But the fancy Neofinetia falcata /Fuukiran are a different story, some of them have specifically colored root tips, which are part of their special appeal:
Some are a mix of dark green and brownish, some are white to very pale green, they are solid green, red or Ruby red. Ruby red roots are the most rarest and plants with those fetch some nice money. ( No, mine is not Ruby red)

Jim, I am glad you like the Irene Finneys too. Nice frolicking Butterflies and the Aerides is gorgeous!!

Indianapolis, IN

Here is a pic showing the root tips of one of my Neofinetia falcata var. Shutennou (on the left) versus the root tips of a seedling of Neofinetia falcata var. Homeiden (on the right). The root tips of var. Homeiden are an example of one form of "ruby colored roots". The color is accurate, at least on my computer screen.

Raymond.

edited to add: Yes, as Ursula said the root tips of fuukirans are a part of the appeal of these special Neofinetia falcata plants, categorized and admired as one of the characteristics of fuukiran plants. The vegetative aspects of fuukiran plants are more important than the flowers they may bear, in a general sense, although the flowers are appreciated as well. Some of the fuukirans do have "flower characteristics" (such as color or form) as the main reason for their particular recognition but the majority are recognized for their vegetative characteristics. (leaf form/shape, growth habit, variegation pattern, leaf axil form, etc)

This message was edited Jun 10, 2009 8:22 PM

Thumbnail by huiray
Indianapolis, IN

Jim, how interesting!
My Aer. houlletiana is just short of opening.
Raymond.
Glad you like the C Irene Finney posts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.