June Orchids in 2009

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This is not a good bloom but it will give you an idea.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have to show off my Aerides houlletiana even though it is not quite open yet. I'll post again when it is fully open. I've been waiting a year for this, my first bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
north coast nsw, Australia

sure your not showing off that pool/spa. hehe! love the sand stone.
Ruk- aren't them ridges from low water? not low calcium. because i o.d mine in calcium and some of mine have them ridges when i forget to water them. ???

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

No Breeindy, I was really showing off the garden hose. :>)

Jim

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Maxillaria tenuifolia

Thumbnail by fredrump
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Breeindy, let me quote your posts:

Quoting:
ive never seen them ridges on a phrag. before either. I have seen it in miltonia's caused from not enough water. Not enough frequent watering. Don't know!

I neally killed alot of paphs with crushed shell grit so i don't use it now. I stupidly sat them in trays of shell grit (well couldn't think of anything else to keep slugs away) apart from not draining and drying out as quick they got a O.D of calcuim(anyone know what the symptoms of this to a plant would be)? because mine just looked limp and crap for a while but are fine now. Probly done them good in the long run? anyone know more about this?

and
Talking about ridges... Here's one of my paphs ive been meaning to water. It's in a real small pot and dried alot quicker than the rest. Just watered with a mild fertilizer, i'll see how long it takes to go back to normal.

and you posted a nice picture which showed a Paph with the same ridges as my Phrag.

Now if your plants sat on a tray, and you said that they didn't drain and dry out as well, so they were over watered? Is the plant you showed one of those which sat on the tray with the shell grit? This plant in question looks perfectly well hydrated to me, so I am confused here.

Now my plants were truly well watered; they are Phrags, so I always keep/kept a bit of water in the tray, they were never dehydrated. So in the case of my plants I don't think the ridges were caused by lack of water.

Maybe it isn't all that clear cut?

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Jim, I love the (new) garden hose! :-)
Very nice purchases and I will certainly look forwards to your promising Aerides houlletiana.

Fred, I like your fairly dark Max tenuifolia blooms.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6651376

My vanilla orchid actually created a bean. Somebody worked to pollinate that flower as it wasn't me way up there in the tree.
Fred

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lucky you!!

Indianapolis, IN

Nice stuff all!

Ursula, what an interesting trip you had to Silva Orchids, including your new aquisitions; thanks for looking for that cross!

I was at a local Farmer's market yesterday and saw a division of a Maxillaria tenuifolia with mottled-pattern flowers offered by one of the vendors. Hmm. Didn't pick it up.

Fredericton, NB(Zone 5a)

Nice acquisitions Jim. I like the background for your Aerides, show us more as it fills out. By the way, how come there never is anybody in that pool?

Fred, that tenuifolia is from the dark side, but I'll bet it smells lovely.

Ken

It helps to put in all the letters.

This message was edited Jun 7, 2009 3:37 PM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey Ken...gators. :>)

Jim

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have two Maxillaria tenuifolia. I got them at the orchid show here last March. I can't wait for them to bloom!

Darla

north coast nsw, Australia

Ruk- Keeping it short,i think i neally killed some paphs with shell grid, calcium o.d. Then i accidently let some of my paphs dry right out and the driest is pictured with the ridges. So i got them ridges even after calcium?? Iv'e only seen those ridges on really dried out plants, mine and other friends. Not saying your is, just that it's interesting someone else has another theory.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Great looking plants Jim....the pool looks inviting too!

Well I walked the trails at our BG today looking for pink lady's-slippers and they did not disappoint. Far fewer blooms this year than last but they typically cycle anyway. They are blooming a good 2 weeks earlier than normal.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

a close-up

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

a somewhat artistic back-lit shot. Notice how ours grow in full sun rather than the woodlands like in Kathy and Ursula's area.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Last year I salvaged a yellow lady's slipper from northern newfoundland and planted it in our new crevice garden. It survived the mid-summer move perfectly. This form is very dwarf....just 6" high! and pure yellow.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and here is the regular form of C. parviflorum growing in our BG's rock garden. This clump is about 15 years old!

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Todd, they are so beautiful!!
I think your Cyp acaules are also a bit shorter than "ours", perhaps because they grow in full sun? The back lit shot is really gorgeous!! Takes your breath away!

Breeindy, that is good to know. Perhaps there are a bunch of different causes for these ridges. I will certainly keep an eye on this. Thanks.

Shelburne Falls, MA(Zone 5a)

Speaking of ladyslippers, Ulla Silkens first bloom opened while I was away today.

Thumbnail by boojum

Ulla is C. flavum x C. reginae.

Thumbnail by boojum

Seems like forever since I posted. I'm ending school, setting up summer work, have invited lots of people for next weekend, and an RU here the weekend after. Weeds have exploded this week of course and I still haven't moved my hippeastrums outside!! And I went away this weekend. Stress.
But I need to post a few things blooming here.
Mtssa. Shelob 'Tolkien.'

Thumbnail by boojum

Vandofinetia blaupunkt.

Thumbnail by boojum

Slc. Mem. Alvin Beggman 'Poem' has four small flowers open now.

Thumbnail by boojum

Adgm. Summit 'French Town' is still blooming.

Thumbnail by boojum

Tuberolabium quisumbingii has a spike but nothing is happening.

Thumbnail by boojum

Not sure if this encyclia is a pure tampensis or not.

Thumbnail by boojum

There are 2 blooms on Ceratostylis rubra.

Thumbnail by boojum

And my only pleurothallis-Pleurothallis imperiallis x Pleurothallis palliolata.

Thumbnail by boojum

Another bloom.

Thumbnail by boojum

Whole plant. The leaves became more curled this winter.

Thumbnail by boojum

Epi. Green Hornet has lots of spikes.

Thumbnail by boojum

Paph. Lynleigh Koopowitz is still open.

Thumbnail by boojum

And Den. glomeratum (sulawesiense) has 4 clusters of flowers.

Thumbnail by boojum

Meanwhile, outside...

Thumbnail by boojum

And...

Thumbnail by boojum

And...are pulling me away from my orchids.

Thumbnail by boojum
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

The orchids are beautiful, but the yard is outstanding.

Hap

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kathy, I can see why your Garden pulls you away from your Orchids right now, it is beautiful! Gosh, and not a weed in sight - how do you do it!!
I love the Ulla Silkens!! Next time you take some pictures outside, would you mind showing its habitat a bit? How much sun does it get, ground conditions, plants/trees around it.

And your other Orchids are still blooming away, very nice!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.