It's Hot...It's Humid...Must be June!

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Everyone is welcome to join in the conversation!

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991994/

Celia - LOL at Isis! Sweet picture of Monty! Callie purrs really loud too.
Kelli - 10% tax? Wow!!
Pepper - Cute squirrel!

72.9 °F
Clear
Humidity: 79%
Dew Point: 66 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.01 in(Rising)
Heat Index: 73 °F
Visibility: 5.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Today
Sunny. High 90. Southeast winds 5 mph becoming east 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

It's gonna be a scorcher today...

This message was edited Jun 1, 2009 5:54 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lovely day today.58º Sunny.
¼" of rain last evening. Not much, but a start. It is a little on the dry side here.
Installing the base cabinets of a kitchen job today. Maple & turned out beautiful.

Bernie

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

We missed a frost by just a smidge, clear and brisk now, but due to cloud up and rain for later. We actually could use a break - haying is in progress and we need a bit more sun.

The "official" rainfall for May was 13". Temps and measurements are always taken at the airport, so for me it's not accurate. I measured 16" in my backyard, St. Augustine received 18", Daytona got 22". Currently we are 10" above normal - which is awesome. Pulled us out of drought mode. We'll (no doubt) be back in drought mode soon.

Bernie - You'll have to post a picture of the new kitchen. I enjoy viewing your work.

Welcome Kathleen! Wow - frost? Have you received a lot of rain recently?

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

There was frost in Northern MN on Saturday morning. One report was 24º.
That's why most people only go there in the summer for vacation.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Frost! WOW!
Looking forward to the finished Cab shots Bernie.

Ceila I love the Sheep Shots!

Mid 80's and Sunny today is the call.
Hosta damage was extensive. The rest of the plants will heal quickly.

Here's our new 'Desk'.
I picked it up at Building Values when we were there looking for Cabs for the Parent Remodel.
20 Bucks, Powdercoated Steel (which will be painted).
The tape is from the original owner....lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The new desk.
Still have a few improvements to make.
Painting, electric hookup, clad the wall..... lol!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

56°F under partly sunny skies this morning with a chance of rain this afternoon. Yesterday was a perfect day for outside work.. High in the 60's, low humidity, plenty of sunshine and a nice breeze. High of 72°F expected today--the last time we'll hit the 70's until Friday. I was watching the Weather Channel last evening and they showed photos of snow in upstate NY.

Joey.........The crappie fishing has been phenomenal here this spring. The bigger ones are in the 16" to 17" range which is pretty good for a crappie.

Bernie............I ran some straw through my chipper/shredder and mulched my strawberries and was wondering if straw is a suitable mulch for tomatoes?

Here's another garden tour "Tea House" photo.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
(Zone 7a)

70.6 °F with 81º for the high.
Mostly Cloudy but not right now. It's sunny and pretty. Thunderstorms again this afternoon.
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 47 °F
Wind: 2.0 mph from the SE
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.91 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 77 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Glad you liked the sheep pics.

Black Lace Elderberry.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

Thanks for new thread, MySharona. Your plants/flowers are beautiful; first of June and 90*s- how much hotter will it be? Glad the drought is over, for now.
Welcome, Kathleen. Hope the weather holds for haying.

Sunrise:4:27 AM AKDT
Sunset: 11:22 PM AKDT
Civil Twilight 2:28 AM AKDT --1:29 AM AKDT
23h00m visible light.
47* with highs to 60*.
ric~nice find~
CG~sounds good to have a way out of the heat.
kwanjin~beautiful elderberry; the color is gorgeous.
E_B~wonderful setting/sitting area.
hi to all I've missed-have a great day.
A week ago - Portage Valley greens up.

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We used straw on Strawberries. I the only problem was the straw was full of wheat seed. I pulled wheat for a couple years.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Very cloudy today, at noon it looked more like 8:30AM. Cloudiness in June is very common. Outside of maybe some Februaries in El Nino years, June is probably the cloudiest month.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 01, 2009
66 °F
Haze
Humidity: 68%
Dew Point: 55 °F
Wind: Calm
Pressure: 29.92 in (Falling)
Visibility: 5.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Overcast 1700 ft
(Above Ground Level)

We went hiking this morning and didn't see any flowers that I haven't shown you already recently but you might like this dewy rose snapdragon. I saw more rose snapdragons at this particular park today than everywhere else for the whole rest of my life combined. Rose snapdragons are fire followers and this place burned about three years ago. I know that I'm always saying that such and such a place burned x years ago. Does that come across as strange to you? I think my old PA self would have thought that such a place must be a wild and dangerous land.

Thumbnail by Kelli

The critter in the middle is a coyote. There must be a lot of coyotes around here. We see their "poo" all of the time, even in our back yard, though we rarely see the animals.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Kelli, not any stranger than me saying we got more than 25 feet of snow this year. It's all about your perspective.

We live in a semi temperate rain forest it seems. We are not quite as soggy as the NW, but close. I think there are only three places in the country that see less sun than we do.

It turned out that the RAIN predicted was rain, or a little less, barely set the dust. It did manage to put haying back on hold. The only good thing is that we are chopping right now, rather than making dry hay, so the moisture content isn't quite so critical. The difficulty is that the maturity is starting to rush us, better cut a little young.

(Zone 3b)

CG~sounds like a good use of the straw, despite the problems.
kelli~the rose snapdragon is gorgeous; the water droplets are fantastic. Cool coyote pic, too.

(Zone 3b)

sorry; crossed, Kathleen. Very interesting to learn of all the rainfall there.

Kathleen, I grew up in one of those kinds of places. SW PA is one of the cloudiest places in the U.S. - equal with Seattle.

Thanks, Kiska.

Kathleen, I looked up where Panama, NY is. I know your climate a little. My family had a cabin in Warren County, PA. Up until the mid 1980s, it would rain every time we went up there. We called the place "camp", so we had a saying "camp is damp". It really was. Even when we went up in the summer, we still made a fire in the furnace, if nothing else, to dry our shoes. I'll bet you know exactly where I am coming from.

Old picture circa 1980 - I think it rained the day before and turned to snow overnight.

Thumbnail by Kelli

E_B – Now that is a spot where I could spend a whole day!
Celia –The BLE is very pretty!
Kiska - We’ll stay in the upper 80’s – mid 90’s through June. Then way up to the upper 90’s to possibly a couple of days in the low 100’s July and August. Too hot for my taste. I felt cooler just looking at your picture!
Kelli – Snaps are one of my favs and those are pretty! I’m used to hearing you say a place burned so many years ago so I don’t find it strange. What’s interesting is you remember which area actually burned. Nor as interesting as me saying we received 16” of rain during a mini tropical storm a wee ago LOL! Wow a coyote…don’t see any of them here.
Kathleen – you’ll have to post some pictures of your area. It sounds really pretty!
Kelli – What a cool place! I bet you enjoyed going there regardless of the weather.

81.5 °F
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 52%
Dew Point: 62 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 4.4 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 83 °F
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 6500 ft
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Tonight
Becoming mostly clear. Areas of fog after midnight. Low 68. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph.

WX has been saying lows in the uppser 60's for a week now, but every morning when I check it's already in the 70's. Hmmm.

basil

Thumbnail by MySharona

Camp was my favorite place, back in the day, when I was a kid and didn't have the freedoms of an adult and all.

(Zone 5a)

Sunny today, breezy and about 56°F .... very cool with the breeze. It's June so it must be officially summer now :-) Not hot or humid though ;-) Heard at least two lawn mowers today ...... and it's time to get the annuals planted outside :-) Week and a half left of school, I'm soooooo ready for it to be over so we can start sleeping later in the mornings! lol

Kelli - LOVE the dewy rose snapdragon! Gorgeous! Cool cayote photo too - and "camp" looks like a wonderful place to stay .... too bad about all the rain though. I can identify with that ;-) lol Selma's class went on two bike trips last week - Thursday and Friday .... it rained both days .... was sunny rest of the week. It's been sunny today and sun forcasted tomorrow as well. Supposed to start raining on Wednesday ..... when Selma's class will be hiking on Mt. Esja. How annoying is that?! lol

Kiska - Was that snow at a high elevation point?

EB - what a peaceful setting!

Sharon - mmmmmmm basil :-)

Hi Kathleen! Welcome!

We bought "cutie" the hamster a cage last week so he's officially moved in ..... the girls picked it out for him ... they're all very happy with it! :-) Got him one of those balls to run around in as well .. too funny! lol

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hot, sunny and windy. At least at work it was. At home, not so much but I live in a bowl and my job is perched on top of a high hill. It's like a windtunnel there sometimes.

Storms in northern MO tonight but none here. We might get some tomorrow. I need it. Have alot of new plants planted that need the moisture including another tomato I got today at work. Mountain Pride cultivar.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann that looks like Hamster Heaven!

e_b I could hang there all day.

Kelli we're not freaked about the fires.
Well at least I'm not. We're getting more and more of them here too.
Plus ice storms, tornados, hail.... and the VERY occasional ground shake.....lol!

Celia what a lively bloomscape!
As I said we didn't have much luck w/ that one but.....

About 3/4 done w/ the new project.
Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Welcome, Kathleen! I had no idea that New York was such a wet place. I can't even imagine what 25' of snow must be like.
Joey: gorgeous touch of pink on that peony!
Kelli: next to vacuum cleaners, I think dishwashers must be the best of all modern appliances. Oh, wait, I forgot about washers and dryers and self-cleaning ovens. It's just too hard to choose a "favorite". I like 'em all.! LOL Pretty rose snapdragon!
To those of you who have had frost recently--well, I can't imagine that, either, in Late May or June! However, when Buddy and I took a 3-week driving vacation in June, 2004, we went up Beartooth Mountain in Wyoming and there were folks up there skiiing--not water--but snow! Of course the elevation was 12,000+ feet! Here where I live the elevation is 300 ft. above sea level.
Ric, so sorry about the hail damage to your hostas. Sure hope they recover! Nice desk! The initials on the tape said O.R. Did it come from a hospital?
EB: what a lovely place to sit and relax and have a glass of iced tea!
Celia: that has got to be Lamb Chop from the Shari Lewis show! Monty does not look thrilled with his new companion! LOL Lovely BLE!
Sharon: I've been meaning to ask you about Lady Margaret. Did she survive the move? The lantana will be very nice--looking forward to receiving it.
Rann: Our low tonight is supposed to be 67ºF. That would be a sweltering high temp for you! LOL The hamster has a really nice "house". I'm sure the girls are really enjoying him.
Kiska: I noticed your high temp was to be 60º--that's a regular heat wave for you, too! LOL

Our current temp is 77º and it is now Dyson dark. I got the lawn mowed today. that chore is done for a few days. As badly as I hate to admit it after all the whining I have done because of our wetter than normal spring, we need a rain!! Things are starting to get dry around here.

DGS is spending the night with me again tonight. His 9th birthday is tomorrow. We are going shopping for a new electric scooter. The batteries for his old one cost almost as much as a new scooter and that doesn't include the wires on top that plug into the scooter. Does it make any sense that "they" would sell the batteries without the wires? Not to me, it doesn't!!

Here is a purple coneflower--hope I haven't posted this before.

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Even if you did, Mau, it's still pretty. But I don't remember seeing it recently. (And that IS Lamb Chop! LOL)

Sorry to hear that, Ric. This is my 2nd year with it and I'm very pleased. So far. We'll see how it does in the heat of summer.

A pretty day. It's raining now. Lots of lightning and thunder. Wooo! What fun!

Have I showed you all my dancing bee?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Rann - Love Cutie’s cage! Hamsters are fun to watch.
Pepper – I hope you get that rain.
Mau- I didn’t think Lady Margaret made it. I had almost given up hope, but then I started to see leaves. She is about 2’ tall now with buds. I love coneflowers!
Celia – bzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

73.6 °F
Clear
Humidity: 83%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.03 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 74 °F
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog in the morning. High 85. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

A cool front is moving through - it will be 85 for the rest of the week LOL! I hear the mosquito truck! YAY!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

It's cloudy this morning, but dry, breezy and 57°F ..... that's normal summer temp. up here ;-) ....

Marsue - hope you get just enough rain to water the plants! lol Very pretty coneflower. I have some I grew from seed last year that I just planted out .... I don't think they'll manage to flower here ... they're barely out of the ground yet.

Celia - the black lace flowers are sooooo pretty :-) Mine is still not out of the ground ... it's in a deep shade, it might need more sun here to make up for the cool temps ......

Sharon - pretty bloom :-)

I have a busy day ahead ... I'm hosting our "sewing club" tonight .... that's what we call it but there's hardly ever any sewing or knitting done ... it's my old pharmacy class from University, we've kept in touch since graduation and meet about once a month. I think most women in this country are in at least one "sewing club" ..... it's a good way to keep in touch with old school friends we'd otherwise never have time to get together. The "sewing" is just a cover nowadays, in most cases it's mostly about gossip and cakes ;-) lol

There are still a few daffs and tulips flowering now .... These are 'Avalon', I think they're such a cool color :-)

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

73° and Sunny.

It's getting hard to wrap my brain around Tulips, Daffs and kiska's snow.... LOL!
I agree Rann the is a very nice Daff!

Celia I love that Disco Bee!

Sharon is that a Port?

We are seeing Hummers now.
VERY early in the season for us.
Usually we don't see them until the Mimosa blooms.
Could be all the blooms here this year.
Our newest project is about completed.
Then it's RU potting.....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

43* Going to be a beautiful day w/highs to 60's and even, 70*.
Sunrise: 4:25
Sunset: 11:24pm
rann~finding the elevation of the snow pic, I'd taken at Portage Valley, online, the elevation is barely above sea level: 118Ft. (36m). The little hamster and the girls will have a great time - cute setup.
marsue~it's amazing, isn't it, from too much weather to too little rain in a seemingly short time.
ric~very pretty.
MySharona~thanks for the info as to hot, summer days in store there. Sounds great for all the outdoor activities.
Love the Dancing Bee, kwanjin.
hi Pepper~

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 7a)

65.9 °F with 79º for the high. More thunderstorms later today. Keeps the temps down and we love watching the lightning.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 51 °F
Wind: 3.0 mph from the ESE
Wind Gust: 10.0 mph
Pressure: 29.96 in (Rising)
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 8000 ft
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

I've been hearing that the hummingbirds are early everywhere this year. Biologists don't know why.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Went on a little walk with my camera this morning.
72º Partly sunny.
Off to market later.

These are the Iris from last summer Iris Co-op.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This is the yard in front of the house.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Hardy Geraniums.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Flower bed in the "Door Yard".
This term is used here by the old timers. It is the area that the back door of the house, & all main doors of out buildings face.
"Cool"!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

CG: Lovely irises and "Door Yard" garden Love that term, too! The oldtimers were right.
Celia: How about that dancing bee? LOL My hummers didn't seem to be early but the ones that are here now sure are hungry! They go through my sugar water in an amazingly short amount of time. I thought I only had one hummer but one hummer surely couldn't drink that much nectar so fast!
Rann: LOL at the "sewing club". I was going to ask you what you "sewed" but your "gossips and cakes" remark explained it! LOL Love the color of that daffodil!
Ric: nice flowers--have fun at the RU this week-end!

The Weather Channel says it currently is 86º but my thermometer on the back porch says 90º.

It's my DGS' 9th birthday today. He had his party last Friday night but I ordered him a Razor Electric Scooter from the internet today. He should have it in about a week. It's what he wanted. He had one but the batteries would no longer re-charge and I could get him a brand new scooter for what the two new batteries plus the wires, etc. would cost!

This is Zachary in his "Emperor" pose. He says "Emperors don't smile". LOL He made the crown and glasses with his "Zoobs" kit.

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 2, 2009 12:13 PM

Thumbnail by marsue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I was outside early this morning (6 a.m.) with Friday. This was our sunrise.

Kiska, I noticed you are at about 20 hours of sunlight now.

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I seem to go from one rainy day to the next. I did get my yard mowed and now I'm back to needing to mow again. Life is such a circle.

It's 60º with a cold east wind. Sure sign of rain to come. Yep, it's now raining.

Yesterday, around 5:30 am, we had thunder and lightning in the same breath. I jumped out of bed and checked all the neighbor's houses for fire and hoped someone was looking at mine. Across the street I saw rolling white smoke. The lightning hit my friends shed, which is very close to their house. Luckily we have a volunteer fire department and they put it out. It sure stinks. Their big riding mower is toast, as is all the Christmas decorations. It blew out their phone and computer, blew the irrigation meter box off the little playhouse close by, and most likely broke an irrigation pipe underground. I'm glad it didn't strike their house, or mine!

I'm behind again, but I read everything. Computer is so slow I can hardly open pictures.

Celia, got a big kick out of Monty and the sheep.

Early, I had to squint at all your beautiful pictures.

Kelli, same for your pretty flowers.

Pepper, what did your Dad say about the new rose? LOL!

Sundogs were colorful yesterday!

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

Mau, is it the Rip-Stik from last year that does work anymore? Love the Emperor hat! LOL

Wow, BP! Pretty colorful!

Why is it that, if bindweed is so invasive, it can hide in plain site until I upload pics? Or is that WHY it can be so bad?

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Beautiful day of traveling. Temps in the low 70's. Coming home we crossed a mountain and ran smack-dab into a tropical downpour - one of those 1/2 inch in 7 minute jobs. Drove through it for about 5 miles and entered the no-rain zone - heavy clouds and no rain. Neato! Boy I sure hated driving through that thunderstorm though.

Supposed to be a beautiful day tomorrow. Aren't we lucky?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Bindweed is a bear!
We have 30 or so different Morning Glories going also.
Right now the Bindweed is way bigger so easy to spot.
In a few weeks....... lol!

Well the new project is 'just' about done.
Would be if at exactly 4 PM the skies hadn't opened up.
Pop up T-Storm knocked out our Sat and we had to reset it.
No other issues here at least.
The first bolt was so close I couldn't turn my head to it before the BOOM hit.
Then SPLAT again.
No need to water anyway.... lol!

bp I'm glad no one was injured.
Those are pretty sun dogs!
A severe thunderstorm watch remains in effect until 1100 pm.
Looks like a line of showers is about an hour and a 1/2 out.
Temps will go from 86 today to 72 tomorrow.

Looks like Mom and Dad are doing training flights w/ the new youngster.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.