SSV Clem sale

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

As CG mentioned in an earlier thread, Silver Star is having a $5 off sale if you order two vines. Of course, I always order two because the shipping is the same as it is for one vine. June 17th is Debbie's last ship date. I'm not sure when she resumes, as this is my first year ordering from her. It certainly won't be the last, though. Her vines are awesome!

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

What ones did you get from Debbie???When yours comes in will you post a pics.of the roots???I would like for folks to see them!!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I've ordered six from Debbie so far and they are all planted. Some have only been in the ground about 2 weeks. I've bought Princess Diana (already blooming), Prince Charles, Kermasina, Avant Garde, Barbara Harrington, Etoile Violette. This picture is one of Debbie's. I think recent threads also have posted pics of her vines, probably better than my photo. I'm out of room to dig huge holes right now and trying to get some home improvement projects done, so I'm making a wish list for next year from SSV. (I REALLY want to build a greenhouse this summer.)

The ones I ordered from Uncle Greenthumb also have huge roots and are doing great. He only has a limited selection and most of them are sold, I believe, but are very good vines.

Thumbnail by Sharkey
Mableton, GA(Zone 7a)

Those roots are fabulous! I was thinking though, that since they say bloom time is May-June and they have been cut back hard, even though they are so very healthy, since it is already June, we wont see blooms this year because they need to spend the next month or so growing. Is this accurate? But it's a trade-off to get such great, healthy plants. What is your experience?

(Photo of my only clematis old enough to bloom)

Thumbnail by 3gardeners
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I have mine all planted too. That's a great deal to save $5 on every 2. It cuts down the shipping and that's a major help.

You need to order soon. She has lots to pick from .

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Your GA weather is probably similar to mine, since I'm in NW FL. I can't believe how fast these things grow! That's the advantage of buying a mature vine like the SSV vines. I planted a couple of these in late April and they have already climbed almost to the top of a 6 ft. trellis. I believe they are Group 3's, so I'm fully expecting blooms this summer. I've noticed that a lot of my clems are blooming way ahead of what the chart says. I downloaded a chart from Donahue's, I think. Some that are supposed to bloom in June were blooming in April. It obviously has to do with our horribly warm weather. So, I guess there are advantages to suffering through this hot, humid weather.
About 2 weeks ago, I made my morning round with my lever loops and Kermasina wasn't quite tall enough to reach the bottom rung of my trellis. By dark, I was able to attach her. Now she is about 4 ft. tall with lots of stems. It's almost as if they grow before your very eyes.

I guess you wouldn't want this type of growth with a new liner, but with the mature plants, I welcome it. I'm not sure about the Group 2's. I'm fairly new to growing clems and depend on these other experienced people for advice, but I would encourage you to go ahead and order mature plants and plant anyway.
I also took the advice of my clem friends and gave them good soil, water and lots of TLC, so maybe that has something to do with their growth as well.

Delaware, OH

i ordered another group of clems yesterday from ssv, the sale price too enticing for the quality of roots. mine from last year are 3 and 4 ft tall, bushy and loaded with blooms or buds.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

You have no idea how much discipline it is taking me to keep from ordering more. I think this truly is an addiction!!
I'd love to know what you ordered this time. I'm getting ready to do my first real pruning this evening when it cools off a little. I have some group 2's that were planted last year that have finished their first blooming period. I understand that they will bloom again later this summer, hopefully,
I have a multi-blue I planted this year that has 5 or 6 beautiful blooms! It really makes all the hard work worth it to be able to enjoy these blooms, doesn't it?

Delaware, OH

there is something really addictive about clems. and the work and wait does make it seem rewarding.
i have a good bit of the ssv assortment and there are out of stocks. i just ordered
blue light (mine was form lowes, mistagged and bloomed out as pink champage this year...so i still do not have this one)
gazelle, which is a duplicate for me, want more display
victor hugo
recta purpurea (strange mine did not re appear this year. i had top dressed it heavily last fall and i think i killed it, as species do not like all this pampering)
sizaia ptitsa
mrs george jackman
princess diana, also a duplicate to one in the ground since that was from chalk hill last fall. it is doing ok, but i want to jump start the whole display and get it going.
these are shipping on the 8th

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I was thinking of ordering Piilu and Multiblue or Bluelight for the sunny mailbox. What do you think?

Delaware, OH

piillu for sure. it can take shade or sun, is compact and has a long bloom time compared to multiblue and blue light, which as early doubles are meant to be not pruned for the second flush. you may get a small second flush with them, but they will be small and maybe single flowers and anticlimactical. pillu can give it and take it..bloooms blooms blooms and can take an after bloom prune and come back for more.
this plant was moved in 08 shortly after this bloom period due to some construction on the deck. it is already up to size this year and getting ready to bloom !
remember there is a period to establish and if you can start with 2 plants all the better.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Do you have another suggestion. I have alot of white. red and purple in my front yard.I was also thinkiing about Mrs George Jackman

Delaware, OH

huldine might be more floriferous (more blooms , longer blooming period) than mrs george jacknam. ssv has alba luxurians too , which i love , very different and established easily for me.....here is alba luxurians form last year. i grow it on moonlight climbing hydrangea.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

Would someone mind giving me a connection to Silver Star? I've looked several places where I thought I could find it and haven't yet. I've already found a couple of places that are crying out for clematis. Thanks for your help.

Dathen

Delaware, OH

silverstarvinery.com

yacolt wa

the shipping method and size of the roots makes them easier to plant than any clems i have ever put in too. they prune them off so you don't have to. most people don't have the heart to prune the clem when they plant and it costs them a year on the settle in and grow rate of the root. these roots are ready to plant and the shipping is a no waste concept that i appreciate vs the bells and whistles and throw away pots of the slicker sources. big and simple quality is the mantra here.....

Well, I put my toes into the water! The choices are mind boggling. I only ordered two - John Huxtable (looked liked a pretty white) and Proteus (because it will grown in semi-shade). I'm not going back there right away.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

John is a wonderful choice. I'm not familiar with Proteus but John can't go wrong.

Appleton, WI

Before you know it Dathen, you'll be up to your waist.

Shihtzumom - Good, good - it's nice to know that John H is a good choice - I really liked his looks.

JuliaJayne - Now don't you say that - only the toes - only the toes.

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sharkey!!!^_^...

Kathy I think you have Proteus,its the one with the lady standing by it on Debbies site!!thought you was the one that told me it was a MUST have...

Ohhh dathen,bet those toes are gonna get wetter...more is better!!:))

Appleton, WI

Oh, Dathen. Next it will be the knees, then the waist, they the shoulders, but don't worry, you can never be in over your head.

Delaware, OH

you won't regret this. the roots are a great experience in quality. i recommend folks start with great roots and then over time as they gain experience go bargain shopping for little liner plants if they are hooked enough to put time into establishing them. but for garden design and impact from year two for the non collector, these roots save money and time in the long run.
also well rooted out gallons form local sources if you can find them and plant them properly are a great choice for beginners and those lucky enough to find them.....

Okay Demstratt and Julia Jayne - you are just Wrong......I'm not saying that I didn't look at a couple hundred that were enticing - but, in truth, my husband has to dig the holes - and while he's a very sweet man, I try not to give him too many holes to dig at one time.....otherwise he won't do the dishes.

Guru - I agree with you about size and quality. I've learned from experience that the best bargain sometimes costs a little more.

(Zone 4a)

I have John Huxtable and I love that one.....it is the only white clematis I have.

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

I just added John Huxtable and Rooguchi - I swore I was done planting for the season, but there's no way I can pass up a deal from Debbie's SSV.

I'm glad that John is a well-liked clematis - that must mean that he grows well. I thought I was done planting a couple of weeks ago - but I keep haunting the local nurseries. I just have to quit that.

Appleton, WI

Dathen, I understand. I try not to push it with my husband either.

Delaware, OH

old proverb

keep hubbies out of garden

of course digging and lifting is reasonable payment for supper. or unpacking boxes of clems that arrive when you are out of town.

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, my - it's almost 2 a.m. and I'm sitting here thinking about trying to get one more order in under the wire with Debbie. The John Huxtable she sent me just went in the ground a little over a week ago and it's growing like kudzu. Somebody stop me...

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Nooooo! I wish I hadn't read this! I stopped myself from making an order b/c I figured it was going to get too hot. This unusual cool weather is tricking me though and all that rain yesterday was wonderful, but you know what is ahead.
What did you do?

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm still looking and thinking. We got some rain last night so that always fools me into thinking that more plants are a good idea. I swear the JH grew another 5 inches after the rain...

Delaware, OH

her roots go like crazy , don't they? i swear they are better than they were last year, or maybe i am just getting the hang of it.....

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

Nah, CG - they just keep getting better. I know that for a fact since I DON'T have the hang of it yet, and they still do great for me!

(Zone 4a)

Hey I know for a fact JH will grow inches in day...it did for me HONESTLY the first year I planted it.....lets hope for the same this year!!! Such a pretty clematis....it really is......

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

JH is loaded with buds for me. It went in last year and is at the top of the arbor already. Anna Louise on the right, JH on the left. Debbie strongly suggested JH and I'm glad she did. Can't wait to see the blooms! You'll love him Dathen.

Thumbnail by venu209
(Zone 4a)

your arbour is fabulous venu!!! I so want to have your clematis!! The way you grow them looks so easy!!! I am so glad I got HF young!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.