Am I killing my Prunus?

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi,

I have a healthy 4 year old, 8 feet tall, Japanese maple tree in the backyard, and some of its roots are growing on the surface of the ground, extending horizontally. I noticed that either people walking on them, or perhaps animals chewing on them, have eroded the bark on these roots exposing them and possibly giving access to their pulp. Concerned about this affecting the tree, I dumped half a bag of top soil that had been in the shed for years on top of these roots to cover them up.

The problem is that, as it turns out, the soil I poured is infested with ants, and possibly other bugs. I am concern this may actually affect the exposed parts of the roots.

Should I remove this soil?

Thanks!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

First, a Japanese maple is Genus "Acer" Species "palmatum" properly: Acer palmatum. It's not a Prunus. Since we have an indentity issue here it would be helpful if you could either find the plant tag that came with the tree or post a picture of the trunk, limbs and leaves and the exposed roots for correct identification. Some Acer palmatums can be surface rooters, especially if planted too shallow or when they get large. A cut root obviously won't move nutrients and water to the trunk. Is this tree planted so close to a walking path that this will be a continous problem? A small amount of top soil placed over exposed roots does no harm. Neither will the displaced ants or any other insects who previously occupied the top soil. By now they've disbursed looking for new accomodations.

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks! I was a bit dyslexic, I guess... We have so many Japanese trees around... It's not a maple, it's a Japanese cherry tree...

Thanks for your answer. Yes, it is planted close to a little stone walkway around the house. These roots are heading away from the path.

Do you have any other suggestions to prevent the tree from getting in trouble?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh! - That explains it. I would recommend that you mulch the root area to a depth of 2" to 3" keeping the mulch well away from touching the trunk. The tree will love it. Reapply the mulch every couple of years or so as it breaks down into soil. Don't over apply the mulch, however. Without seeing the actual circumstances of the roots and their proximity to the stone walkway, I guessing that a mulched area should signal people to stick to the stone path. The mulch will provide tons of benefits to the tree through moisture conservation and it's breakdown will improve the soil with nutrients and beneficial organisims. Sounds like you care about about your Prunus a lot. That's nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.