My Vitex came back!!

North Augusta, ON

I wasn't sure if it was hardy to here but I had to try...looked at him today and he has new leaves!! one branch out of 3 and a low branch, but he has leaves!!

Just had to tell somebody...

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Looks great! (Where is he??)

North Augusta, ON

ooops...I was so excited I forgot the pic...hehehe

Thumbnail by threegardeners

Congrats!

North Augusta, ON

Here he is last fall:

Thumbnail by threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

Thanks Victor! I'm thinking I might have to mulch him heavily with leaves once he gets bigger or I'll get too much die-back to get blooms. Do they bloom on old wood like regular Lilacs?

No - new wood.

North Augusta, ON

So I have a chance to actually see blooms?? Yipppeee!!!

North Augusta, ON

I left a couple of Esperanza (Yellow Elder) out there too but no sign of them yet...might have been pushing the zone too far though.

What is it ! Vitex that is

North Augusta, ON

It is a kind of Lilac i think but looks like a cross between a Lilac and a Butterfly Bush...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/33933/

Its a tree?

North Augusta, ON

yup...but I doubt he'll achieve tree status up here...

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice, very happy for you! Love it when you think something was a goner and it surprises you.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

threegardeners, I think that is amazing, as years ago many vitex where planted on Nantucket by a wylie old nurseryman who had gardened in Maryland and then long island and loved them, so tried them here when all others said we would be too cold. We were zone 6 back then. They did very well and proved hardy, but very marginal in Boston at that time. So the fact that yours has returned is great. I thought zone 6 was their limit.

They always show late and I am just getting leaves now too. They bloom mid Aug for me and are not bothered, so far ever, by the deer. Butterflies love them. I can't find a good picture, but here is one of ours in my yard last Aug. I keep it pruned into a 5-6 foot shrub. But many let them get much bigger. Everyone who does not know it, thinks it is a lilac blooming in Aug. I prune ours in the fall. We have planted several different ones, a V. Shoal Creek and V.Abbeville Blue but they are young yet. I should have good blooms on them this summer. I don't know what the one pictured is, as it came as a no name years ago. Good luck with yours. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

looks like your are in full sun patti - i have abbeville that is in more shade than sun - will wait and see how it does - new last fall

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Never heard of them, but now I'm interested!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.