Cutting sedum back

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I know I saw this somewhere on DG, but I can't remember where. My Autumn Joy always falls over and someone said they always cut it back so it doesn't do that. Will you tell me how far back to cut it and when to stop and let it grow?

Thanks in advance!

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I haven't done it yet - will this year because I have the same problem -- here's the advice I got from our local expert --

Cut back to 1 foot through July 4, then let grow -- like mums.

I've been told they are then more robust and don't flop!

Hope this helps - Dax

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Dax, thank you so much. I was hoping someone would come to my rescue! I always remember my dad saying: "5 inches high till the 4th of July" on mums, so now I will try to remember that it is 12 inches high till the 4th of July for the sedums. Thanks again!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Joyce...you can probably root those cuttings and make more too!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Oooohhh Marcy...good idea!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Joyce!!!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

MMAAARRRRIIIEEEEE!!!!! I didn't even know you were still around! Come and visit in Girl Talk!!

How are things?

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I am here all though I have not been online as much!! I missed you all. DO you still have a thread going on somewhere so I can come and visit you?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Joyce, I think if they're flopping it's probably because they're in a spot that's too moist from them. Try moving them to a very dry spot.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, they got transplanted from another house last year, and I won't really know until this year how they're going to do. I moved them in July and then we had drought, so hopefully they'll be good where they're at now.

Marie, We still have Girl Talk going on the Parking lot thread...come see us!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok I am off to see if I can find you all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.