Tell me about "Gaited" horses

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I've never been around people who had them, so I'm not clear on exactly what it means. My understanding is that it's like a 4th gait that certain breeds of horses have over and above walk, trot and lope/canter. I also understand that it's a really comfortable ride, but I don't know exactly what it looks/feels like. Is it also called "single footing" or is that something else?

I saw Cajun's video of Ben moving around inside the barn, but I couldn't really tell what he was doing. Can somebody link me to other vids of horses showing what it's all about?

Also, since I've been on this forum, I've heard a couple of abbreviations for horse breeds that I didn't know. What's NSH? I'm guessing something Saddle Horse?

This thread has 99 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!