Potato bugs

Mid-Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 5b)

I found these critters mating on some volunteer potato plants at the school garden. What are they?

Thumbnail by candyinpok

Let me see if this picture works better.

Thumbnail by candyinpok

What am I doing wrong? Why don't I get an enlarged picture?

I'll try again.

Thumbnail by candyinpok
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

they look like potato or cucumber beetles. you can dust some sevin on them. it's safe for vegi's.

Thanks. I tried again on the bug id forum. Still couldn't make the pictures work. However, they told me they are three lined potato bugs. Looked it up on the internet and that's what they are.

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

I've got those (grrr!!) and would like to know if there is a non chemical way to kill them. They are chewing up a bunch of my flowers and herbs foliage.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

hey cottage, you could try Fer-ti-lome Borer, Bagworm and Leafminer spray. i get mine at ace hardware. it contains Spinosad and works much like Bt on caterpillars. it's an organic that kills whatever takes a chomp out of the leaf. potato and cucumber beetles are both listed on the label. i use it for a variety of leaf chewing bugs and it really works well. hope this helps.

I just read about that stuff. The Poughkeepsie Farm Project uses it, its labeled organic. You can also hand pick which is what I've been doing with the potato plants at school. Every morning before I go in to work, I check the plants and squash 3 or 4 potato bugs. However, today I found a flea beetle. Never have had those at home and don't know what to do about them. The potato bugs are dwindling and I only found one today.

Harwinton, CT

I've always dusted with rotenone and it works very well. It's safe too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.