What do you suppose this is?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is among some irises I purchased at my local AIS Rhizome sale. As far as I know I never bought anything that was supposed to look like this. The photo isn't exactly accurate in color, but it is actually a light brown in color with a lavender streak up the middle and bright yellow all over the hafts. I have never seen anything like it. It has a modern form, but it isn't anything I am familiar with. Normally I like the brown iris, but I am not sure about this one. Any guesses as to ID? There can't be a lot like this.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is another photo showing the lavender a little more clearly.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't know the name but I hope you find out cuz I have some in the front yard I can see them out the window here and have wondered for 2 years I love them
Gloria

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, here's hoping someone knows what this is. I like it too, but was really surprised to see it.

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Paj ~ I'm wondering if it might be Terre de Feu.

This is a photo I took of mine last year and it was, and is, absolutely gorgeous! Yours is a bit lighter than mine, but cameras and light can make a lot of difference.

Judy

Thumbnail by jh_gardens
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It does look a lot like mine. I will check it out. Since I live at 7,300 ft. the sun is fierce here and that could bleach it out a bit, explaining the lighter colors. Thanks for looking into this! Will let you know what I think when I have looked it up.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I think you have nailed it. Great work! When I looked in Plant Files, I noticed that the photo closed to the coloring in mine is in that of Margiempv who lives in the Phoenix area, where the sun is intense because the air is dry. Our air is nearly as dry but we are about 6,000 ft higher making the air very, very thin. With little atmosphere to protect our flowers from the sun, many of them turn out paler, though this one is more extremely pale than others I have seen. Though much paler, the pattern is the same. I think it is the same iris. Maybe I should send you a piece to see if it turns out to be like yours -- or vise versa.
Thanks for your excellent detection work!

See for yourself at:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/113883/

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

You are very welcome, Paj! Terre de Feu is one of my favorites due to the intense colorings - at least in our area. I didn't realize the sun and arid climate would make that much difference, but even so it is still very attractive. If you'd like to send a piece for me to test, just send me a D-mail, I'd be happy to do it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Will see if I have enough to send you. This is the first year this iris has bloomed. But I bet it has some increases, I could send you. I think such a test would be very interesting.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That is a pretty one! I planted it last summer and did not get any blooms this year. Hope mine turns out as colorful as yours Judy.

Susan

Southeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Yes, Paj, it would be an interesting test, if not this year, next! Just let me know.

Susan, I'm sure yours will be just as beautiful. It definitely stands out in the gardens and receives a lot of "Wow's"! Almost drove by your place yesterday to see your beautiful blooms, but didn't make it.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bet it won't fade like mine because you have more moisture in your air and live at a much lower altitude than we do. That makes your air more dense and blocks out more ultraviolet -- the one that does all the bleaching.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Your first post on this thread looks very similar to "World of Color"
My pic follows:

Thumbnail by dd95172
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I just found this one in Plant Files that looks a lot like mine:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/26429/

What do you all think?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Ginger Swirl has a very distinct tan edge on the falls that I don't see on yours.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I came to the same conclusion. The lavender blends into the brown edge on mine. Darn. It looks so like it ought to be identifiable.

Lebanon, OR

Could even be Competative Edge

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

It could be Belle Prairie. Reference my journal entry from May 2007. Could it be I sent it to you? http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=93249

Roni

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I bet that is it, Elizabethtown. The description doesn't mention the lavender patch around the beard, but you picture shows it.
I got you as my partner in the secret trades last year and sent you some iris, but you didn't send to me -- your sending partner was someone else. And we never got around to a trade later in the summer.
I don't think I got it from you, but I am reasonably certain that is what it is. Thanks so much!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

That's right, no wonder I couldn't find you in my trade lists. I always keep a copy of the "invoice" including bonuses. I just thought I had been lazy (not like that hasn't happened before :-D).

I love how in the older descriptions they mention "pink" but pink has since become lavender or a light purple wash. I guess their Crayola boxes weren't as big as mine. *grin*

Roni

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, those older registrations left out quite a bit, but I am pretty sure the photo you showed is it. Thanks for checking it out for me. Betty

Kansas City, MO

I hesitate to add this but it looks sooo much like Venus Butterfly by Blyth that I got from Dee.

I took many pix of it this Spring. I will see if I can post one on here later today.

Irisawe

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That would be great! Maybe dee has a picture of it on her site. Why not add to the confusion.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nope, Dee doesn't have it any more.

Lebanon, OR

Here is Venus Butterfly, all you had to do is ask to see if I have a picture as have more than my fair share.

D

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Betty,

Take a look at this photo. I thought your photo looked just like 'HIGH ROLLER', (my friend Kathy use to grow it) but I couldn't find a picture, so I went online and found one> (it's on E-Bay in Australia)

A Graeme Grosvenor, 1996 introduction. Could this be yours?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tall-Bearded-Iris---HIGH-ROLLER---Lots-of-bloom_W0QQitemZ160340700786QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090608?IMSfp=TL090608193001r387

* edited to add: the E-bay links won't work.

Also edited to say:
If it doesn't come up due to the long http then........... here is the ID number to type into E-bay in the "search" box on top. - - 160340700786

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 3:01 PM

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

It just goes to prove that you can't name an iris, by photo and words alone. :-S

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Let's see if this url will work. I put it through "My Tiny Url".

http://tinyurl.com/nzjoqk

I am going to look carefully at both to see which it is. I like the work of Graham Grovenor in, in general. I bought Rustle of Spring of his last year.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Funny the R&I database doesn't mention the large lavender spot under the beards for either iris, yet one can clearly see it in the photos!

Kansas City, MO

Okay, here is a picture of a clump of Venus Butterfly. The picture has a rosier tone than they looked to me in person. To me there was a more subdued mauve tone in there and the flash beneath the beard had a sort of iridescence to it, hence the Butterfly part of the name, I would think. Pictures do not do this one justice. It is really lovely.

I do think the beard is wayyy off the mark. It appears that V.B. has blue on the tip and the mystery iris looks all yellow.

Irisawe

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by irisawe
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have to agree that is definitely not Venus Butterfly, even given that the original is rosier. Actually my original isn't very rosy either. It is tan and bright yellow and lavender. I think it is most likely High Roller and second chance is Belle Prairie. I guess I will get a rhizome of each to grow next to it. Or perhaps I will ask our club members if they donated either of these. I would love to know what it is.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Betty, Yes, I know the database doesn't mention it either, but maybe it was an over-site on Graeme Grosvenor's part when filling out the paperwork (if he was in a hurry or something). But, Kathy's looked like that too - - I remember it vividly, because of the range of coloring it had. However, that purple spot sometimes would fade in the very hot weather here. Possibly that happened to him too.

I love RUSTLE OF SPRING too. I also love LAVENDER PARK, YEARS OF PLENTY, QUALIFIED,ZIP IT UP, and WORDS AND MUSIC. They all do very well for me. Even if I put them into one gallon pots and forget about them..................they'll survive.

I'm 99.8% sure your unknown is HIGH ROLLER.

Betty, tell me about "MyTinyUrl"......how does that work?.........That is so cool that you made that long link work!!
^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will definitely get into more of Graeme Grosvenor's work. I only knew of Rustle of Spring and a couple in the Mid-America catalog which I don't own yet, but I know he has written a major book on iris. I will have to look into some of the ones you mention.
My tiny url is great. I learned it here on DG from garden_mermaid. All you do is copy the incredibly long url you want to post somewhere on line then you go to the website:

http://tinyurl.com/

All you have to do is enter the long url into the blank that says:

>>Enter a long URL to make tiny:> Make tiny url. >http://tinyurl.com/e16

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

LOVE Venus Butterfly! It is going on my list (for next year!)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I like it too, but can only have so many iris until I create new beds and get good at trapping gophers. They ate a bunch of my new rhizomes this year.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Oh Betty, that is awful. We haven't any gophers here, but we need to watch the rabbits. They like new fresh leaves off of any iris.

Someone told me once, that a good way to get rid of gophers is to buy a large can of WD-40, and pour some of it down all their holes. He said it works for him (at least for a while, then he has to do it again once the population goes back up). I don't know if it really works or not, but it might be worth a try.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, it doesn't hurt to try. I am open to all suggestions on gopher protection. They aren't just a problem for me. The entire county is overrun with them. The head of Parks and Recreation is getting a little crazy about them, kind of like the movie Caddie Shack.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.