Can I deter bluejays from devouring suet?

Westford, MA(Zone 6a)

The neighborhood squirrels were plowing through a suet cake every 36-48 hours until we got a baffle, and then each cake would last up to 2 weeks. Now the bluejays have discovered the suet, and we're back to replacing cakes every 48 hours.

I very much want to keep the red-bellied, downy and hair woodpeckers coming, as well as the cardinals and other suet-loving birds. But it sometimes feels like we'll have to take out a second mortgage to cover the cost, thanks to the blue gluttons.

I don't suppose there's anything to keep the bluejays away that won't scare off our treasured visitors?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 4b)

You're in luck.

http://www.duncraft.com/Duncraft-Upside-Down-Suet-Save-500-P241C35.aspx

Westford, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I'll get one for the clingers, but if I want to keep my cardinals, I guess I'll have to keep feeding the jays.

Wake Forest, NC(Zone 7b)

scatter a handful of safflower seeds on the ground for your cardinals every day . Squirrels don't like them and cardinals do.

Westford, MA(Zone 6a)

Good tip, thanks for the reminder. I now recall that cardinals are mostly ground feeders. I didn't know that squirrels didn't like sunflower seeds, though. I'll do that.

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

peony8 - Squirrels do like sunflower seeds. It's safflower seeds they don't like.

Westford, MA(Zone 6a)

Ah, thank you for correcting me. I had been thinking of feeding the squirrels directly with a peanut thingy closer to the woods, but getting the squirrel baffle on the feeder took care of that problem, though they feast on the suet that lands on the ground because the blue jays and grackles toss aside huge chunks indiscriminately.

I have ordered the upside-down suet hanger and will get some safflower seeds for the cardinals.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.