Anybodys Garden just not doing well this year?

(Zone 7b)

My garden is a usual show stopper i pride myself on just how good it looks.
But this year something is either wrong with the weather or something and i just can't figure it out.
My cone flowers are always 2 to 3ft tall and gorgeous and same for my Dahlias this year they are about a foot tall and probably won't bloom.
My Salivas have molded and some are completely dead the only thing doing well is my hibiscus and balloon flowers.
My zinnia seeds i planted 4 weeks ago are about 7 inches tall and spindly same with my cosmos.

My husbands vegetable garden is doing poorly he replanted beans twice and they came up and died.

Has anyone else had this happen where you are?

No, I'm finally having a great year! My plants are lush and gorgeous!

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sorry to hear that Harmony but I am not having any unusual results. Things are looking good; my "new" garden is entering its third year so finally my seed grown coneflowers are2 to 3 ft tall.

Did you buy any mulch or compost from a new source, in bulk perhaps?

Thomson, GA

For once, my garden is going gangbusters, veggie and flowers. I already have dahlia blooms, my roses were breathtaking this spring, and the lilies and daylilies are fantastic. The only thing that has been troublesome have been my zucchini that have rotted or shriveled on the vine, but seem to be doing better since I sprayed for fungus.

My neighbor, on the other hand, just plowed under his cukes, onions and squash, which were all rotting in the field. His corn is about a foot tall with tassles, and ours are 4-5', with tassles. We both limed and fertilized our veggie gardens, but we added composted cow manure before planting. (our garden is raised,his is not.)

Cedar may have point;last year I got a load of mulch in winter and mulched everything. I blamed all my garden ails last year on drought, but perhaps the mulch had something to do with it. It may have been too green and took nitrogen out of the soil from what I have read. I feel your pain!!!

(Zone 7b)

Guardians Sounds like your neighbor is having some similar problems as ours sorry to hear that.
My husband has lost 2 squash and has given up on his beans his tomatoes are looking great however.
Sounds like the raised beds did the trick for you

My flower garden is looking a bit better since we finally have some sun but my salvia and sage is just gone.
I'm hopeing with the sun and some drying it will kill some of the rot i have found in my garden.
No i haven't changed mulch and with all this rain i'm glad i didn't apply any new or i would have had more fungus.
But my 2 tomatoes i have in my herb garden love it they are covered in blooms and small tomatoes.

It's been hard on us mold sensitive folks as well i'm recovering from Pneumonia as i write this.
Hopeing me and my garden make a big recovery and soon.
Wishing happy Gardening to you all :)

Hey but my ducks just loved all the rain LOL they swam in every puddle they could find.

Decatur, GA

Harmonyplace,
I have been having some trouble this year. I attribute my somewhat slow start the the cool temperatures, especially at night. My tomatos are dragging but the squash is doing okay.
Lots of my flowers are slow too.
Take heart. I think when the heat comes to stay everything will grow better.
Helen

I do know some local farmers who have had trouble because of the rains. I myself noticed that in a week without rain, some of my rose areas are hard as rocks again....so I'm wondering if a few years of drought hardened the soil enough that it is just soaking up too much in some areas and then just won't hold water in others?
Sorry you are struggling!

(Zone 7b)

Girlgroup I too notice how soon all the tons of rain we had seemed to be a thing of the past in 2 short weeks.

I have been sick but have got out to my garden this week and the rot seems to be drying up.
My zinnia and others seem to be catching up with all this warm or should i say hot sun.
But it will not be as pretty as it was last year and i'm going to have to replace some cone flowers and a salvia or 2.
Oh well i'm happy with what has come up and doing good.

Hope all your gardens are gorgeous and thriving :)

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Harmony, hope you are feeling better. Pneumonia takes a long recovery. Please take care. Sorry to hear your garden isn't doing well. We went on vacation and I came back to a jungle. It will take awhile to get rid of all the weeds and other unwanted plants. I had a couple passion vine last year for the gulf frit butterfly caterpillars. This year they are coming up everywhere. And so is the perilla. But the marigold seed I planted didn't sprout a single plant. Johnny jumpups everywhere, but some of my hostas are gone. Maybe Mother Nature is trying to tell me something. Becky

Atlanta, GA

Harmony, hope you are well. How neat to have ducks!

Are you in red clay country? I have a young apple tree (Gala) that came through last year's drought just fine with minimum watering, but now has a disease that looks like the black leaf that roses get sometimes. I did some research and found out that Gala doesn't like heavy clay soil. (Now I find out! :-) )

Our big fig tree started an early crop, got leaf curl with our cool rainy spring, and dropped all the fruit. The good news is, that it put out another crop and now looks very healthy (knock wood).

I was lazy this year and didn't start any vegetables until very late May. So far everything looks good. We're in the Atlanta area.

(Zone 7b)

Hello and thanks for all the well wishes and yes my garden is doing much better since it's not raining 5 days a week.

I'm going to have to redo a whole section of my garden pulling out the dead and dieing and replaceing them with cone flowers (if i can still find some)
The rain and rot really took a toll on my Salvia and Sage plants and i'm pulling out some suffering speedwells also.

My Balloon Flowers have done wonderfully through it all and heres a pic.

Thumbnail by Harmonyplace
Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Harmonyplace, glad things have improved for you. Funny but my balloonflowers have excelled this year too. I didn't remember the blooms being so large.

Is Chickenville really Gainesville by any chance?

(Zone 7b)

ha ha ha ha Chickenville is the name of my business i don't know if there is a actual chickenville in ga.
I live in the north east ga. area :0)

Thats a closeup pic my passions do run farther than my chicken coops LOL
I love photography and sometimes just scope out my yard looking for that perfect pic.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Well, NE GA is poultry capital of the world.....so you're in the right area.

Gorgeous Monarda. Is that "Jacob Cline?"

(Zone 7b)

Thanks Cedar i have no idea of the name i planted them 3 years ago they come back year after year.

Yes the Whole state of georgia is a chicken capital i know people from bainbridge to the north ga borders that raise chickens LOL

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

I do believe that is Jacob Cline.........Bee balm as I call it. This was mine as it was starting to blossom one summer. It spreads by it's root system.
And I also have the balloon flowers :) just to mention a few.......LOL

Yes Harmonyplace, my passions do run farther than my chicken coops too..........flowers :)

The problem use to be to keep the chickens out of the flower beds!!!

Thumbnail by kassy_51
(Zone 7b)

Lovely Kassy i love my Bee Balm i have it planted so if it spreads it doesn't matter.

I have so many flowers and i love Cone flowers they are so hardy the rain got to mine this year and they are short and not very pretty.

This cone flower is one i just purchased along with 5 more they are to replace alot of sage and salvia the rain drowned

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

That is beautiful Harmony. Is it one of the "sun" series. I only have the generic purple ones, but they are doing well this year.

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

I moved most of my Bee balm to my boyfriends house. Good thing I did too, because something was eating mine off here :( I don't think I had any bloom here last year, but he has then in 2 places at his place and they did good :) The few that did come up this year, got moved closer to the house.

Have you ever seen a Pink Peony Poppy?
I had never seen them before. My boyfriend had them growing at his house, and when I asked him what they were, he didn't remember (just like a man) LOL. I had to have it ID'ed on here.
This is a picture of one in front of an Anise Hyssop plant.
I have a bunch of them growing in one area this year, and soon they should start blossoming. I'll get a picture of that when they do.

Thumbnail by kassy_51
(Zone 7b)

Thanks Beclu and yes thats the sun series i buy them at lowes i believe the yellow is sunrise and the orange is sunset.
I have several varied colors of the sun series I just love them

Kassy my mama use to grow the Peony's and she had Pink and White ones

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

My boyfriend had the Eastern Purple Coneflower, I think one of the pink ones. I loved it, and he loves cone flowers, but for some reason it didn't come back this year.

The weather here has been bad the last 2 days for some of the plants. We broke a record for heat yesterday, and it wouldn't surprise me if we hit a record again today. And humid. Very strange for a Wisconsin June.

I checked on my small flowers that I just watered yesterday, and the ground it drying up and cracking in places.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

Just checking, kassy, but what is record breaking heat way up there in WI? Stinking hot down here, unseasonably so even for the deep South, at mid -90's.

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

I believe we hit 95 or 96 yesterday. And at going on 10 pm and we are still at 80 degrees tonight. Not a normal June for us. The 70's in June is usually normal. We usually don't hit the 90 until in July, and then it's only for a week or two.

But then we put up with this in the winter too.
Want to come help shovel?
How did we back out of our driveway? Very slowly!
See the mailbox across the road with snow over the top of it too?

Thumbnail by kassy_51
Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Kassy - That reminds me of when I lived in Houghton, MI. We had 25 ft of snow the first year (1972) and had moved there from Honolulu. LOL I sure don't miss it one bit.

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

kassy, our summers are hot and humid, but I think I 'll stick around for our fairly mild winters. It's cold enough (plenty of below freezing mornings) but bearable. Pretty scene though.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all...Hope all you Georgians aren't frying like I am up here...92* and 76% humidity....Can't wait to get home in September...

Here is my Bee Balm (Monarda) yesterday...If you look close in the very back center, there is one stalk that is almost 5 feet tall...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
(Zone 7b)

Hey Dusty it is hot here and as always the humidity is a beast but we may get some rain here by the weekend we really need it.
Where abouts in the great state of Georgia are you going to be?

Heres a pic from my mountain road trip we went on this past weekend

I am looking at a property in Bartow county...on 2 acres with a dandy barn and a couple other outbuildings...But it will likely be somewhere in Bartow county one way or another...

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Dusty, I love that dark red bee balm. The one I have is pink/lavender. It is about 3 ft tall now. Heat and humidity here. Mid to high 90s and humidity about 80%. Much too early for this kind of weather.

Hey Becky...I am dragging it with me when we leave...I will save you a chunk of it...LOL

Dacula, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dusty, I'd love some. Do you want some of the pink? I've got lots to share.

Sure!!! They would look dee-vine together...LOL

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey guys, just checking in. Been gone for while. But this is first year my Beebalm is doing great. I believe it is from GGG or Soulgarden. In any case it is "Raspberyy" or "Raspberry wine" Doing real wll in spite of very wet spring and very hot temps already. It gets lots of visitors

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Is this cute or what? Looks like a two storied building . Have you seen something like this before??

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that is Jacob Cline also called Bee balm.
Mine grows like that quite often :)

Hey Tuliplady, that was from Soulgardenlove! I have some too now tho, thanks to her!!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

GGG, yea I thought it was from her, not quite sure. But this it's doing real well. No bugs, or other yukkie things eating from it, just tons of bees. Hence the name... right??? Is it Raspberyy Wine - I lost the little tag. Do you remember?

Thumbnail by TulipLady
Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Kassy, you think my BeeBalm is Jacob Kline and not Raspberry Wine??? But have you ever seen this 2-storied flowering? Maybe I'm just amazed, I grew up in Amsterdam. what do I know! I don't even really care what plants are called as long as I love them and they promise to do well in my yard...otherwise!..lol

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Hi TulipLady,
Now that I got the second picture, I'm not exactly sure what yours is. I thought the coloring was off on the first one.
Mine blossoms red, and yes, I have seen it blossom many times that way. My mom had beebalm for many years. And since I have had it, i have seen it blossom that way too.
Not only do the bee's love it, but the hummingbirds love it.
I have what was my mom's plants. She never know the name of them, and just called them hummingbird flowers. She loved the hummingbirds :)
I went on line to find out what they are really called after I got hers.
Go to plantfiles and in the comon name, type in beebalm. It will give you a number of different colored ones.
Mine is red, and there are a number of different names for the red one. Raspberry wine also looks red in some of the pictures on plant files.
Mine is not in bloom yet, seeing I'm north of you. It may be by this weekend and if it is I will try to get a picture.
I'll try to locate a picture of mine that was taken a few years ago.

And welcome to the USA from Amsterdam :)

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

Have not located the picture of it when it was just starting to bloom yet, but it is back farther on the thread. I have it in the computer some place, I just have way to many picture in the computer, especially of flowers :)
But here is one from a few years ago after it was in bloom. The Daise near it had died off. And the Russel Lupine near it was coming to an end too.

Thumbnail by kassy_51

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.