Elderberries

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

have you seen how many bushes are packed with berries? it just goes to show how mild it was way back during the spring when the flowers were open.

Mark

Same here in Yorkshire Mark, but it's been like that here for a couple of years now, each year I think that the crop can't possible be as good as last, and it is !

The local home brew expert told me to go after the ones that the birds like, 'cos they make better wine (the berries, not the birds!). I'd not noticed before but there are bushes that the birds go for, right next to others that they leave alone. Very strange, since they're next to each other it can't be the soil, so it's got me beat.

Jo

I have seen the same thing also. I was watching some starlings at the weekend which repeatedly flew to the same bush. I seen it happen with Rowan and Whitebeam trees.

nature knows best!

Mark

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

my mother says that we're in for a hard winter if the trees are full of berries like that..

lilith

yes thtas what old wives tales say but the truth is the spring was so mild there were no frosts to kill the buds, flowers or small fruit.

Mark

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.