Blooms for 5/27/09

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

Just shamelessly showing off. Elephant Ear. My one that died last year always had a fragrance. This one doesn't, or at least the bloom today didn't. Oh well I still love it.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

This one is Crown of Bohemia, it was loaded with blooms earlier this week, but didn't get out to take pictures.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

I'm not sure of the name of this one, feel free to volunteer if you recognize it.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

This also is a noid.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

Then there is peach capitalio

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

And red capitalio thought you really can't tell because of my shot, but I thought it was a pretty picture.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

I think this is a Rose of Sharon. It's a new one, well a new to me one, lol. I think this is only the second bloom for this one.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

Ooops not a hib. ( did I mention that I was showing off?) lol

Thumbnail by AuntAnne
Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

With flowers like those, you have every right to show off. Thanks for sharing!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

AuntAnne, can't blame you, showing ones pride and joy is quit easy when you have something so beautiful to show, love those blue flower in the last photo you posted, what is the name of these beauties.

Wilfred

Hammond, LA

Beautiful Aunt Ann! Love those double blooms.

Juliana

Wilfred, it's a Chaste Vitex tree. Well it's supposed to be a tree, it looks more like a big bush right now. The bees really love it. I couldn't get out there to work in the bed till dusk because of all of them, lol. The whole bed was buzzing. And thank you all. It's pretty much me and the dbf and all he sees is a lot of work, lol. And it is, but the payoff is amazing.

Anne

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Show off some more please. :-)

Aren't chaste trees wonderful? They never have any pests and you can trim them any which way (or not) and they are still happy. I love plants like that.

Yes I really do love them. They bloom forever and have a wonderful fragrance. I talked my son into climbing down under it to pull weeds last night and when he stood up he had purple flowers all in his hair. It was funny, of course I didn't tell him lol.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I'm going to have to get me one of those Chaste Vitex tree all because you had to go show me that beauty, do you have any seeds or know where I can find some. And on behalf of Mother nature, Thanks for giving the bees something to eat, they really need our help now to survive, they going extinct.
THANKS! AuntAnne WAY TO GO!

Wilfred

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

We all love a show off!!!LOL
Keep them coming!!!

They do put off seeds but I don't know how well or how fast it would grow from seeds. This is my second year with them and they've doubled in size. I'm not sure where I bought mine, I think from a local nursery. I think Lowes had some last year. And I know that you can get them online.

My blue NOID one sets seeds but I have never found a seedling under it so I suspect it is a hybrid. I havde a pink one also and once again, no seedlings to be found. It is strange because I have ready where they can be invasive.

I know that if you cut off the seeds it will bloom more. But I wasn't always careful about that and I don't have seedlings either.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Try to pollinate them with a artist paint brush, I've done it and got a few seeds out of them. If at first you don't succeed, try try again is my thought.
Good Luck!

Wilfred

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's a photo of pollinating with artist brush, I push the pollen on her pistil, this way I know it made contact.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Here's another photo.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Loved the photos and agree with everyone else--do continue to show those beauties!!!

Patty

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I've tried that before as well,but the seed pods fall off before they are ripe ,now the ones that are hardy there seeds pods open and the seeds fall on the ground,but never no seedlings from the either.

I have never done it but it is my understnding that you have the best chance of successful pollination during the cooler months. Perhaps it is already too warm.

Nederland, TX(Zone 9a)

beautiful blooms Anne and Wilfred,

Anne, did you ever find a whirlwind?

Robert

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Tropicman, try tying a trash bag tie around the hardy seed pods before they open, they usually start to turn yellow before they are completely ripened. as for the others that drop off before they ripened, you might want to check if there is lack of some type of major or minor nutrients that can lead to this. also check if there's enough moister in the soil during the podding process, its happened to me and as I corrected the problem I got seed pod with good seeds in them.

Wilfred

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

OK Robert wgat is a whirlwind? AuntAnne I am so jealous of your elephant ear hibiscus. I love those and have no success finding any for the last 5 yrs.

The Vitex can be propogated from cuttings, I have a lavender one. I have not done it but a friend brought me 2 she did. She was not sure the color. When I brought mine I wanted one like yours anne. The bluishpurple color. :o( I hope the ones she brought are. Pink oh my what does it look like? I bet it is gorgeous. Oh my so many plants and not enough money. lol

I did buy a 5 ft really full single yellow hibiscus 14,95 at a local nursery here. it is gorgeous. I want to find a double yellow. My Lowe's in Baytown has one but they also have white fly...No Thanks.

Still so many you have Robert I want.

Aunt Anne give those oleander cuttings about 6 to 8 weeks to root. I have mine in water.

Happy flowering.
Sandy

I use these little wedding favor bags to "catch" seeds; especially on the plants that shoot their seeds. You can tie them on. The 3" x 4" bags come out to cost 5 cents each and the shipping is free. The green ones blend in well.
http://www.giftsintl.com/organzabag.php

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Great Idea ardesia, way to go!

Wilfred

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice. Keep em coming. I'm enjoying the burst in activity on this forum

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Ardesia great idea!!!!
Wilfred,I was told I water too much,that is why the seed pods fell off too early.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

That's also true, aether way, to dry or to wet will do the job of knocking your pods off the plant before there ready for picking.

Wilfred

Sandy, I didn't get any cuttings. I felt really cruddy so I really wasn't there that long. I found this Elephant Ear at Home Depot. From time to time they have named varieties.

Robert, no never did find one. Still looking too.

Anne

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Anne I will work on rooting you some oleanders. Maybe for some of your beautiful Hibiscus.

Not a prob. Sandy. As it turns out I have 2 peach capitalios. I thought I'd lost mine over the winter but Polly had given me one and then mine bloomed out so it was another that I'd lost. But you let me know which ones you want and I can root them for you. I'm going to Louisiana in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps we can meet somewhere.

Anne

Not a prob. Sandy. As it turns out I have 2 peach capitalios. I thought I'd lost mine over the winter but Polly had given me one and then mine bloomed out so it was another that I'd lost. But you let me know which ones you want and I can root them for you. I'm going to Louisiana in the next couple of weeks. Perhaps we can meet somewhere.

Anne

P.S. This is whirlwind

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

I took a new picture of one of the above. This is the first time that I've seed one of these blooming early in the morning. There is so much more pink in them. I'd really be interested in it's name.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

This is called Apricot Brandy I think. We had a discussion about this one on another thread last year and at that time I hadn't ever seen a name for it so we just decided to call it "Pretty". Apricot Brandy is the name I've seen attached to it.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

This is a new one. I have the name tag but it's just too hot and muggy outside right now. I'll edit this post with the name later. The sun filtering through is the yellow that you see. It's really just a very true orange.

Thumbnail by AuntAnne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.