Medication Substitutions for Generics - Be Vigilant

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

After two problems with generic Toprol XL (almost two years apart) I have come to be very cautious with allowing substitutions. Toprol XL works very well to control my many multiple cardiac arrhythmias. After having what I thought was 'break through' after several 'quiet' years...my husband suggested that the medication was the problem. I hadn't noticed a change in the appearance of my pills, but I looked at the bottle anyway...sure enough... I had the generic. I called the mail order pharmacy and complained that I had not been notified about the substitution. The pharmacist said 'no notification' required. (!!) Anyway, I got it fixed -- and things were quiet once again. Fast forward almost two years.. again weeks of break through (I can't believe I had to hear my husband say 'did you check your medication....' (I HATE that !!) .. Sure enough --the Toprol XL had been substituted. I had my yearly physical about 5 weeks before and all new prescriptions were sent in. After using the rest of my last prescription - I had started the new bottle. I went back on the brand name and within three days... things nice and quiet. Since then I have heard of some significant issues with generics (although the medication is supposed to be 'identical.') Antidepressants not working --or making things worse, thyroid meds failing, etc.etc. And folks who were taking Toprol XL for blood pressure control were suddenly complaining about rapid heart rates. (So you can imagine what my rate was doing since I was taking it as a rate controller!!) I am posting this today because my sis - who knew of my problems - just sent me an article listing some known problem substitutions and Toprol XL was on the list with a mention that thousands of doses were recalled a few years ago. (Apparently, not enough recalled - or problem still not fixed - because my second bad experience was only last month!) Anyway, thought I 'd share this because I am in the medical field and this got right by me twice!! Just thought I'd say be on the lookout for substitutions that you may not even know about and if suddenly you begin having problems that had previously been resolved by your meds and now suddenly are returning....take a peek at that prescription jar!

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!