Red Clematis

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

is there any such think as a RED clem?
I mean true red, not pinkish, or purplish, but bright red?
If anyone has reds, could you post names or pictures, pretty please ?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

A true red in Clematis truly is in the eye of the beholder..some see the purply reds as red or the pinky red as red but one I find to be a true red is Clematis "Madame Julia Correvon"

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

ok well what about these? Does anyone have them or ever seen them?

Cardinal Wyszynski

Rebecca

Homestead Farms has these very reasonable and I have ordered from them before and liked them.

http://www.homesteadfarms.com/clematis.htm

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Aren't the clematis from Homsteadfarms bareroots?..GardenCrossing has
"CW" in small pots and they would flourish faster than a bareroot...JMHO...Jeanne

I do not know if they are BRoot or not. I have only ordered hosta and daylilies from them. Was real pleased. I do know the ones I bought from lowes I washed all the soil off before planting them. They did well that way.

Appleton, WI

I don't think there is a "true" red clematis like a Poinsettia red or a zonal geranium red. All red clematis, to my eyes, all have a varying degree of a blue undertone, where as a true red doesn't

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Frilly..I went to the site and in the paragraph above the clematis it says that they are bareroots..I mentioned it to make sure that you knew in case hadn't noticed and were tempted to order from them...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

julia correvon is one of my favs. here she is from last year in my garden and this year will be even more spectacular now that the initial plant are is year 5, and my secondary one is in year 3.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Delaware, OH

also looking for a lot of red from my hoshi no flamincos. 2 in ground, both first year with me however.....i am very optimistic b

Appleton, WI

Hoshi no flamincos is stunning. There are so many gorgeous clematis from Japan.

(Zone 4a)

You see to me, julia correvon looks like a dark pink but not red....to me red is fire engine red.....otherwise it is just a dark pink in my mind. I don't care if people call it red...it is still pinkish to me. Even my Ville de Lyon - to me it is dark pink. LOL....

Normal, IL

Niobe is definitely a deep flavor of red. I receive two rounds of blooming in zone 5, one about to commence and a weaker round in the early fall.

Thumbnail by onegoodman1955
(Zone 4a)

Yes I would have to say it is one of the closer ones to red IMO from looking at photo's. I don't have one myself. Or else Rouge Cardinal which I find is similar too from photo's online I have seen.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dawn this is my Rouge Cardinal I never have thought of it as red!
Niobe ( which I have never seen 'in person') looks much closer to me although of course the light in pics makes a big difference.

Thumbnail by fancyvan
(Zone 4a)

Wow look at the difference in the colour from that photo fancy....I find that middle flower looks "red" and the others to me are a darker pink/burgundy...... Interesting!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think that is a question of age - the one that looks red is just out and the bigger ones have been blooming a while

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.